You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.6 - Beta 5)

On 8/1/2017 at 11:33 AM, MattP said:

Sounds harmless enough - let me think about it :)

(I don't use a mouse so I'll mull it over first!)

Well that's good to know Matt.  :-)

An awful lot of us (mac and PC), work on both a mouse and stylus for various activities. I'm mac and have used a 3 button mouse for years.

I accidentally posted in the previous beta topic. So it doesn't get missed, I will just explain the problem here. There seems to be an issue with inserting vectors into pixel masks. Create several layers and make sure they all have something in them, and create a pixel mask around an area of one of those layers. Now before placing anything inside the mask, create an object to use as shading to put in later. Cut it, and then you will see either one or more layer disappear. Once you paste the shade object, the layers come back. This happens randomly.

Is this confusing?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Hi Matt,

I just meant to thank you for speeding up the Booleans! I finally had the time to play around with this today, and oh my goodness, it is a *vast* improvement! I duplicated circles until my machine couldn’t handle any more, selected all, and hit the Boolean Add button. And some seconds later, I had a single object! Yay! By the way, I wondered why I was able to move around this single object with ease, while the several hundreds circles were stalling. So the computation speed obviously does not depend only on the number of *nodes* in a drawing, right?

But thanks again! It is really wonderful to see this speed enhancement. If you were able to fix the Divide algorithm as easily, everything would be just fine … ^_^ 

(However, I fear this is much more difficult. The Divide algorithm seems to work pretty well until a situation is reached where paths are near-coincident, that means, neither intersecting at just a few points nor exactly the same. In such a situation the algorithm seems to create a lot of unwanted extra nodes. And it doesn’t seem to help to proceed step-wise, even with a simple example file like this below. There are many ways to divide these sinoid shapes, such that you get the single intersections in the end, but at one point or another, you will always get near-coincident curves that produce these extra nodes. And unless I am mistaken, we can hardly avoid these near-coincident curves, for it seems there is always some sort of approximation or “error” in play, when Boolean operations are applied to shapes. At least, this is what I found when comparing the result of a single Divide step with the original shape, and I guess this is a mathematical property of the Bézier curves we are using. Hmm. I am pretty sure you already determined the root of the problem, so this additional test specimen might not be of much help. But anyway, I just meant to share these further thoughts and observations, for whatever it’s worth.)

In any case, the improvement of the calculation speed is already great!

Alex :)

Divide.png

Divide-Error.png

Waves.afdesign

Hi Guys,

Great update! I've been using AD for 3 years! My considerations:

1. Something that is very annoying, especially on daily basis workflow is the 'save popup' (see image) mainly when using Separate Mode > the tool bar always get on top of it, and I always have to move the bar. It's really annoying! Please, consider changing the behavior of the save popup!!!

2. the Frame text do not adjust/ snap automatically to the size of the text block. It just doesn't make sense! Why should I keep the frame size smaller than the text block?

Intuitivelly i think it should adjust automatically to the size of the text block.. :)

Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 00.53.53.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-05 at 01.04.53.png

3 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

You can double click the middle node at the bottom of the text frame with the Move Tool, and the frame will auto-adjust to the length of the text contained in it … :)

Obviously, this new feature is not the same as automatic resizing of the text frame. At present, the only thing 'automatic' about it is that the text reflows when the width of the frame is changed, but it does not grow or shrink vertically as text is added or deleted. Personally, while this bothered me when I first started using Affinity, after a while I accepted it as just a cosmetic defect with no real impact on usability that I am aware of.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I have sometimes found the fixed size text frame useful...

Designing the layout for a pamphlet (for example) using frames to define the available space. Then the client provides the text which I can paste into the frame, which now shows just how verbose their wording is, and gives a visual representation of how much they need to cut!

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

7 minutes ago, ianrobertdouglas said:

The Reset Fonts preference button is still not working. It doesn't make available fonts activated while AD is open. You still have to quit and restart the program, which defeats the point of the reset button

Not sure if you saw my note on this on the thread of the last beta, so I'll tag you @MattP

I can confirm this as well. It's never been reliable on any of the betas for my setup, I have to quit and relaunch for AD to notice the newly activated fonts... 

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

4 minutes ago, mtjoseph said:

I am experiencing the same exact issue. I can't run/start beta with valid purchased copy already installed. Help!!

Please check that you aren't trying to run the wrong beta. If you only have the retail version of Affinity Photo installed, you can run the Photo beta but you can't run the Designer beta.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just now, Alfred said:

Please check that you aren't trying to run the wrong beta. If you only have the retail version of Affinity Photo installed, you can run the Photo beta but you can't run the Designer beta.

Yes, I have verified this. I purchased both AP and AD. BTW, I'm running Sierra 10.12.6

A thought comes to mind. I just purchased a new mac and setting/migrating my apps over. Not sure if this has any impact on this issue. The app store allows me to reinstall AP and AD without issue so I don't think it is a problem. 

• Staff
23 hours ago, ianrobertdouglas said:

The Reset Fonts preference button is still not working. It doesn't make available fonts activated while AD is open. You still have to quit and restart the program, which defeats the point of the reset button

Not sure if you saw my note on this on the thread of the last beta, so I'll tag you @MattP

@ianrobertdouglas I already logged this from your other thread. Thanks.

• Staff
12 hours ago, mtjoseph said:

Yes, I have verified this. I purchased both AP and AD. BTW, I'm running Sierra 10.12.6

A thought comes to mind. I just purchased a new mac and setting/migrating my apps over. Not sure if this has any impact on this issue. The app store allows me to reinstall AP and AD without issue so I don't think it is a problem. 

Are the retail versions (and the Betas) being installed in the root of the Applications folder? If not make sure they are all there, otherwise the Betas will not be able to recognise/find the retail versions.

@MattP I think i've found 2 strange things :D. I've made a video so you can see what i'm talking about.

I'm using the Metal view on a Mac Mini late 2012 16GB Ram.

I've placed one affinity designer document (v1.5) and if i move it faster it is not smooth it has some glitches (some kind of horizontal splitting) (don't know it it's metal related, machine related or anything else) but this has driven me to another one. So i've double clicked the placed document to edit, deleted some content and... the strange thing happened. See the video.

i've tested with openGL too, the movement is smoother, but the same happens from that point onwards.

Don't know if anyone has reported it early.

ADBug.mov

Sick of me yet? Haha :$

There is a problem with the boolean operations. Adding multiple objects as oppose to two may create an intersection instead of a union. And subtracting multiples looks like it creates a division. For a wired fence, create two horizontal rectangles (the top and bottom bar), and in between, create multiple diagonal bars crisscrossing and set behind. Try merging those crisscrossing rectangles to get an intersection. Then try subtracting the top and bottom areas of the diagonal rectangle that stick out from behind the top and bottom rectangle to get a division.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

1 hour ago, A_B_C said:

Wow, you are right … there is something going wrong, Brian. :o

Yup, the same thing happened to me. The right side works, but the left does not.

I edited my second paragraph on this post. It was about another problem, but there was something I was overlooking.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.