You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dissolve option or an alternative

It's tricky but you can get a similar effect as follows (in AP)

1. Add white rectangle to fill canvas (1280px X 1000px)
2. Add Maximum Gaussian Noise to rectangle
3. With paint brush set to Black, Size 325px, Flow 50%, Hardness 3%, paint once in middle of canvas on a new layer
4. Use Filters > Distort > Displace, Set strength to 300px, click on "Load Map From Layers Beneath", click "Apply"

5. In the Layers Panel, hide the Rectangle.

You are left with greyish colour of the effect you are after, just duplicate this layer a few times to turn it black

Hopefully someone can come up with a simpler method

dissolve.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Came up w. a couple of ways to do it in Designer. Screen shot of the simplest.

Ellipse, radial gradient from 45% black to 10%, both at maximum noise. Midpoint of gradient shifted to around 75% from center. Posterize adjustment layer set to 1 level.

Dissolvish.thumb.jpg.88906efe8ae7874eab007133c90b7379.jpg

Can also be done by rasterizing the ellipse, and scaling it up so its more pixelated, giving a coarser grain to the effect.

Variable by layering several disks using different blend modes and levels of opacity.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thank you all for your help, (Live Diffuse) filter is the closest thing to what I needed. So thanks JimmyJack.

I didn't want to create an ellipse, I wanted to use it as a style, it is a bit tricky because I had to use masks to keep the dots within shapes, otherwise they would go all over the place, this is my test:

Untitled.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

To note the method I use is a combination of the @gdenby suggestion above (thanks) to create a diffuse raster mask, then use this (inverted) to mask a solid colour shape. @iaa you can then get the affect you desire, It's a bit of a pain but okay if you don't have too many gradients to like this to create.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Dissolve creates noise-ish transparency evenly throughout entire layer and the edge of layer/canvas/artboard does not affect to it.
So alternative methods mentioned above can not be used in some cases.