You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Alpha Gripes with Affinity Photo when used for games

I make computer games. I've done it for 20 years.

Its really frustrating that the only piece of software on the market that works with Alpha channels correctly is Photoshop. I *HOPED* that Affinity Photo would have done it right too (you'lve done a lot of things right). But as a game maker I need my image software to the following:

1. When I say a map needs to be 256x256 or 512x512 pixels, SAVE IT AS 256X256 or 512x512 pixels. I don't want some helpful algorithm thinking it sees a bunch of pixels that are empty. So it will shrink-wrap the map to eliminate the dead pixels. While this might make sense for many photograph needs. Its a bad policy for games. 

2. Alpha channel editing. We do a lot of stuff that can require weird alpha tweaking. It feels like working with Alpha channels in AP is awkward. Look at photoshop for inspiration. I need to paint the alpha. I need to do gradients in alpha. I need the alpha just to be a grayscale image I can modify. For that matter, I sometimes need to do that to RGB channels independently as well. Instead. Channels feel like they are special and not just a layer I can paint. Maybe this is already easy to do. But frankly, its not straightforward to do if it is.

If pixels are painted to the extents of the canvas, alpha will export as expected. But I had a situation where the upper 50 pixels were all transparent. The map was a 512x512. But when I saved it, it would always save it as a 512x462. That's a problem.

When I make the canvas a 512x512 and hit save, regardless of the content, it must save a 512x512 map.