You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello and thanks in advance.  

Well, I've done it! I've just uninstalled PS CS5, Adobe Bridge and Lightroom (which I never used 'cos I got easily confused...).  Although neither my pre-subscription PS nor Bridge supported my camera (Nikon D7200) NEF RAW files and I had to import everything through adobe DNG converter, I did find Bridge really helpful in locating image files through tags and searches, and also it's 'loop' facility for culling on import.  Soooo, I'm looking at ACDsee Photo Studio 20, on offer at $29.95.  Does anyone in this wonderful community use it? It does support my camera RAW, but I see that it only supports afphoto as thumbnails. I don't see this as a problem - is it?  Also, does it import existing keyword tags?  I just need something for my several thousand images (all arranged by yyyy/mm/dd [Title] [tags]) to help out until Affinity releases a DAM... Please :)

Many thanks

I use ACDSee Pro 10, though not a great deal. As you say, it reads the .aphoto thumbnail and it will also display a screen-sized image in the PicaViewer. From my limited experience, it seems to have imported all my metadata (largely created through Bridge).

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

If the plan is to use ACDsee as a stop gap I'd check that it stores its data in an accessible format or is able to export to one.  I'm using XNViewMP at the moment because:-

1. It's free

2. It uses SQLite, which is a popular DB so there's a reasonable chance I'll be able to export to a future Affinity DAM

3. It plays nicely with AP

4. It's free

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

I can confirm that keywords created in my main archive (mainly using using Bridge, but some from Lightroom) are carried over and can be read by ACDSee Pro 10. I recently scanned some slides and added the metadata and keywords using Bridge. These were also visible in ACDSee.

Like you I opted for ACDSee as a stopgap until an Affinity DAM arrives. Had I known about some other DAMs that have been recommended, I may have opted for one of them, but in the meantime I will stick with it.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• 1 month later...
On 7/31/2017 at 5:54 PM, IanSG said:

If the plan is to use ACDsee as a stop gap I'd check that it stores its data in an accessible format or is able to export to one.  I'm using XNViewMP at the moment because:-

1. It's free

2. It uses SQLite, which is a popular DB so there's a reasonable chance I'll be able to export to a future Affinity DAM

3. It plays nicely with AP

4. It's free

Thanks, everyone, for your help and information.  I've downloaded the free trials of both ACDSee and XNViewMP.  Although my Keyword tags are visible in Windows Explorer and XNViewMP displays them in the IPTC and XMP tabs, I can't seem to find a way of either displaying or searching using my keywords, as selecting the Filter drop-down and 'Tagged file/s' gives a nil return.  And the search binoculars on the menu bar throw me into complete disarray... And it doesn't want to play with Affinity Photo.  Or at least, it won't display thumbnails or images of the AP files.  I've uninstalled ACDSee... Seriously miffed and confused, but thanks anyway

On 9/2/2017 at 3:26 PM, Lubiloo said:

And it doesn't want to play with Affinity Photo.  Or at least, it won't display thumbnails or images of the AP files.  I've uninstalled ACDSee... Seriously miffed and confused, but thanks anyway

I'm not sure whether your problem's with ACDSee and / or XNViewMP but if it's the latter I had the same problem and MEB offered this advice - "Go to menu XnView  Preferences ▸ General and tick Show all graphic formats. Restart de app and it should show previews for both Affinity Photo and Designer files.".  It worked!

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

On 9/4/2017 at 6:08 PM, IanSG said:

I'm not sure whether your problem's with ACDSee and / or XNViewMP

Hello IanSG, and thank you for trying to help me out on this.  I've reinstalled ACDSee (after my temper tantrum) and seem to be getting along with that so far.  I've adjusted the preferences in XNView MP as you suggested and it is now displaying AP files.  Thanks again.  I'm going to give XNViewMP a thorough go now.  I'm yet to work out the search thing, but I'll persist.