You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Images going black for no apparent reason!

I am using a 2017 12.9" iPad Pro with Affinity and when in the develop module working with a Nikon RAW file for no reason the image seems to darken to the point where it looks black.  The image is still there, but it is as if something was done or something which I am not aware of and don't think I did.  The layer opacity seems to be at 100% and nothing seems to be abnormal, but yet can't trigger it to go back to the way it was once I initially added to Affinity.  I have to delete the file and import again hoping it doesn't happen again.  This happens more than not and really sucks.  I am an expert level Photoshop user and have been using for past 15 years and although Affinity is really nice...lots of improvement and intuitiveness have to still be integrated into the app in my opinion at least.  I also have issues with the history palette or whatever you call it here not showing every move I make and not working again intuitively like one would think.  I have many photo apps and most have undo commands which do just that...undo every single thing you do in the app and don't see that here with the Affinity app.  Anyway....if someone can shed some light it would help.  I want to love Affinity but find it very frustrating to work in many times.  Aloha  

To live life with no risk is to risk not living.

• Staff

Hi AtortPhotography,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you confirm the model of Nikon camera you have and after opening the RAW file are you applying any adjustments before the images start to darken? Can you also confirm which iOS version you're also running.

It is a Nikon D500 and supported.  I can apply adjustments to the image and get started and then it goes black...the image is still there but have no clue on what happened as I said and how to revert back other than deleted and trying again.  The iOS is the latest version whatever that is now....10.3.3?  Not a beta version.  Aloha

So I just decided before bed to attempt to recreate this annoying issue and was able to.  I don't believe there are any specific steps that make this happen...it just happens all the time while working in the develop module.  This time I adjusted white balance, applied saturation and a few other tweaks and then went to use the blemish removal tool and used and then went dark as u see in th9se two pics... it went from the normal exposed pic to that black pic for no reason and can't revert it.  Definitely something is up!  Please le t me know what you find out.

IMG_0187.PNG

IMG_0188.PNG

IMG_0189.PNG

IMG_0190.PNG

_ATP2632.NEF

Yes Stanley it's there and no response and still crashing making it impossible for me to even bother trying to get proficient with this app.  The images are still going dark for whatever reason too and just can't waste my time.  I want to love this app but not going that direction as of now.

• Staff

Hi AtortPhotography,

Thanks for the file. I'm sorry about the trouble you are having with the app. This is not a common issue - actually it's the first time i see it being reported - and apparently not easy to reproduce (at least we weren't able to find what triggers this behaviour yet). We are looking into it. Please bear with us.

• Staff

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been testing your file and others in the App Store and beta versions and on various iPad Pros running iOS 10 and 11. So far I haven't been able to reproduce the issue, if you have access to a Mac, you can use Quicktime to do a screen recording, starting from importing the file to the issue occurring.