AtortPhotography

Image going black for no apparent reason

When working with RAW files in Affinity on my 2017 iPad Pro 12.9" in the develop module for some annoying reason the image goes dark...I mean to where it looks black but I know image is still there.  I have zero clue why or what is causing this.  Super frustrating please help.  Aloha 

To live life with no risk is to risk not living.

It is a Nikon D500 NEF file and supported.  It is extremely frustrating because I have no clue what happens and have to start ALL over again trashing the file.  Very confusing.

I just downloaded Affinity photo last night and was seeing the same behavior. I finally today came to the conclusion when using the Blemish Remove Tool and Apple Pencil, when I double tap anywhere on the workspace the image goes black. This doesn’t happen if I use my finger though. Only when double tapping with the Apple Pencil and I’m able to recreate the issue over and over. 

4 hours ago, Andrew.s said:

I just downloaded Affinity photo last night and was seeing the same behavior. I finally today came to the conclusion when using the Blemish Remove Tool and Apple Pencil, when I double tap anywhere on the workspace the image goes black. This doesn’t happen if I use my finger though. Only when double tapping with the Apple Pencil and I’m able to recreate the issue over and over. 

Hey Andrew, what image are you working with? Can you attach a sample? I've tried this on my 12.9" Pro with Apple Pencil, both release and beta versions and it's fine.

16 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey Andrew, what image are you working with? Can you attach a sample? I've tried this on my 12.9" Pro with Apple Pencil, both release and beta versions and it's fine.

Nikon D3200 Raw NEF file. This happens whether I import to Photos or pull from iCloud Drive. I've attached a quick snap just to test after reinstalling the app and it still happens. Since discovering that's what was causing the photo to turn completely black I've tried avoiding it by not using my Apple Pencil all together. It also exits the RAW edit mode when the image turns black. Trying to Undo at this point sadly doesn't let me recover the image. 

DSC_2751.NEF

I have been avoiding it by not using Affinity Photo.  The app is very powerful in certain ways I agree, but hardly a fun experience like Photoshop for me at least and always feel like I am struggling with the app.  And yes beyond expert level Adobe user.  Photoshop for example is a pleasure....this just seems like a non intuitive workflow for my brain at least.  And then all these buggy things constantly happening just leaves me deleting it off my new 12" iPad Pro.  

And it does have with Apple Pencil for me too.  

5 hours ago, Andrew.s said:

Nikon D3200 Raw NEF file. This happens whether I import to Photos or pull from iCloud Drive. I've attached a quick snap just to test after reinstalling the app and it still happens. Since discovering that's what was causing the photo to turn completely black I've tried avoiding it by not using my Apple Pencil all together. It also exits the RAW edit mode when the image turns black. Trying to Undo at this point sadly doesn't let me recover the image. 

DSC_2751.NEF

Thanks for the file Andrew. I managed to reproduce this with the retail version however the beta seems to have fixed it. I'd highly recommend requesting a beta signup as we release regular fixes. This goes for you as well @AtortPhotography if you're still interested in using the app.

You can request a signup here - https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/45380-affinity-photo-for-ipad-164-beta-6/

I will try the beta out.  I am giving you guys feedback from my brain.  I was SO excited to buy my 2017 12.9" iPad Pro and Apple Pencil being a avid Apple user and even working on Apple campaigns for their Shot on iPhone billboards....AND pairing it with Affinity Photo!  But the experience just has let me down.  It needs lots of refinements and needs to be more intuitive and maybe I'm simply wanting it to by more like Photoshop or something.  You guys need some kind of manual or better tutorials.  The retouching tools to me seem hard to work with....clumsy to me I guess I would say for an example.  Having the pixel layer selected when using certain filters isn't intuitive either if you don't know what or where to look for.  I always use layer masks in Photoshop and have NO clue how to do this in Affinity Photo or if even possible.  I would imagine it is though but see nothing on how to accomplish it.  There are no tutorials on the various retouching tools and how to use them properly.  And one of the most frustrating things for me has been searching online and finding stuff but it's for the desktop not iPad which is very different.

I enjoy the power and potential and appreciate the effort put into this app don't get me wrong...not only griping, but does have a long way to evolve in my opinion so hopefully some of this feedback helps.

22 minutes ago, AtortPhotography said:

I enjoy the power and potential and appreciate the effort put into this app don't get me wrong...not only griping, but does have a long way to evolve in my opinion so hopefully some of this feedback helps.

Any feedback is always welcome. We want feedback form professionals, amateurs and people who have never even picked up an iPad or a design app before. It needs to work for everybody. 

We have a myriad of help topics and tutorials but perhaps not as many as Adobe but we're much younger than they are—we'll get there. 

Have you looked at your YouTube or Vimeo channels? There should be some tutorials on layer masks in there - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQZN-kIrZUQyoTnexM3jJAw/search?query=mask+ipad

If you have any particular requests, please voice them. We have someone dedicated to making tutorials and he's happy to make videos on popular requests.