You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Join Curves is not working

Twice in the last 2 days I have had a rough O and was basically tuning it into a rough C.  I broke both curves then tried to join them into one curve.  No matter what I tried it will not join.  Is this just me or does this not work in 1.6 beta 4?

I am using the Align to selected nodes of curves.  I drag one node in one curve so it snaps to a node in the other curve.  Press Join curves.  But they don't.  Does this work for anyone else? 

597decbd01225_ScreenShot2017-07-30at7_00_25AM.png.2dc705a616afd2fa67883f7314eacb29.png

Test.afdesign

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Well, that is because your “two” curves are the same object in the layers hierarchy, Mike. As far as I understood this function (and I am not sure if this is actually the very best implementation one can think of), the curves to be joined must be two different items in the layers list. Otherwise they won’t join. In short, you will have to (Boolean-)divide your object, open the paths resulting from the division, and then you will be able to join the curves as desired.

Just try it with my version of your file …

Hope that makes sense … at least, as far as the current implementation makes sense … ^_^

Cheers, Alex

Test-ABC.afdesign

Different-Layers.png

Alex, you are right that worked.  Of course AD closes both curves when the divide is done.  But then it worked as usual.  Either I'm getting even more forgetful or I've just never run into where the curves were in one layer.  Does make you wonder why that restriction exists.  Thanks.

Mike

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.