You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

It doesn't fit me as a photographer

I downloaded the trial versial and it doens't fit my needs.

As a photographer, I edit like 200 photos one by one in a row. Using lightroom I can load all images in miniature and they are kept in a toolbar. When I click them they are loaded and I can edit, the moment I select another one the previous is "discarded" from ram and the modification are storaged.
With Affinity Photo I can only load full images. I can't load at the same time 100 images, they would take a lot of time and ram.
Therefore, it doesn't suit me.

AA.png

Adobe uses a total different approach to the whole image editing. In reality Adobe image editing engine is ultra slow, but they cheat you. They never show or apply anything to full image data you are processing but to the low-quality preview image you are looking or the cropped area. 

So when you import the image to Adobe product, it reads the raw file or JPEG file thumbnail that it shows at the bottom. And then it as well loads the raw file JPEG larger review image (about 1024x or something) so you get feeling it is fast and quick loading. But at the background it is loading full image and then generates from it the necessary preview that you see and then it will apply your adjustments to that tiny sample first, and then renders at the background in secret the actual adjustments. 

The Affinity does it differently AFAIK, loading the full image and then doing the processing in little similar manner but it always shows you the real actual information so you can be very accurate and detailed in the first place. 

Affinity is developing a DAM (Digital Asset Management) software more like a digiKam or a Lightroom, so you get the photo/image collections to it and then from there exported to Affinity other products as needed. 

Currently with the Affinity Photo what you should do is to just have a filemanager or other DAM open and just drag'n'drop files from there to Affinity Photo to get them loaded there in full.

A best digital asset management system is currently digiKam, but it doesn't really match the Windows (or OS X) by look and doesn't really have amazing editing tools. But it does the library management best that is there available and managing a library of 1.3 million raw files is not a problem without any lag or delay like it is with Lightroom, Aperture etc. And that is something Affinity really should try to get targeted really. 

I am a Lightroom user and I hate the bottom row widget. I can hide it but it activates when mouseover and when I try to click "copy previous settings" I often miss and suddenly I am in some other image without warning. Annoying.

That said, there is no reason to give up LR, Affinity Photo cannot replace it. AP just cannot do editing in masse. It is meant for accurate pixel editing one image by one. It is great for fine tuning the final best images that are preprocessed and selected in LR.

On 01/08/2017 at 7:58 AM, Fixx said:

I am a Lightroom user and I hate the bottom row widget. I can hide it but it activates when mouseover and when I try to click "copy previous settings" I often miss and suddenly I am in some other image without warning. Annoying.

That said, there is no reason to give up LR, Affinity Photo cannot replace it. AP just cannot do editing in masse. It is meant for accurate pixel editing one image by one. It is great for fine tuning the final best images that are preprocessed and selected in LR.

The subscription based use is the reason why I uninstalled all Adobe products from my computer. I'd rather deal with the outcome of that move than pay/month for something I should be able to purchase once at a reasonable price.

20 hours ago, Fixx said:

I use standalone LR, not one with monthly pay. Last upgrade price (to ver 6) was 79 €.

They certainly don't make it easy to find the standalone product. :o 

Current price is 150USD/130€. 

For that price, I'll just wait for the Affinity DAM. I'd really rather avoid Adobe and Microsoft products anyway.

Cheers.