You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Merging a few shapes into a single shape/object (not grouping)?

I need to do this so I can make a pixel layer to add some texture without the various shapes showing lines/edges. I';ve succewssfully done this with the rest of the image as you can see in the attached photo. But those were all single shapes.

I made this alien's body in 4 different shapes but I want them completely merged. I thought I could group them and add new pixel layer... but no matter where I place the pixel layer... it's just not right.

How do I merge these 4 shapes into 1 shape? Not just group them.

I feel like it's an obvious answer....

make single shape.png

If I understand what you want to do correctly, just select all four shapes & use Layer menu > Geometry > Add, or the Add button on the Operations section of the toolbar.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 10 months later...
On 7/30/2017 at 7:08 PM, R C-R said:

If I understand what you want to do correctly, just select all four shapes & use Layer menu > Geometry > Add, or the Add button on the Operations section of the toolbar.

Thanks RCR, this gave me the answer that I was looking for.

Also look at Compound Shapes which allow easy adjustment of combined objects.

Or use your group as a mask on the pixel layer (rather than nesting the pixel layer inside the group).

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/30/2017 at 11:08 AM, R C-R said:

Awesome. Thanks :) 

• 1 year later...
On 6/15/2018 at 9:09 AM, Aammppaa said:

Also look at Compound Shapes which allow easy adjustment of combined objects.

Or use your group as a mask on the pixel layer (rather than nesting the pixel layer inside the group).

Can you explain this in a little more detail? Like what the mask does beside the obvious-mask! More to why this works? I’m a novice with AD and am trying to learn more! TIA!

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
16 minutes ago, RendCycle said:

Got this answer from StackExchange which worked for me:

"If there are 2 pixel layers. Select them both, group and then rasterize. The result is 1 pixel layer."

Well the initial theme is here about curves (vectors) in AD and not raster/bitmap layers, for the later you can also merge them into one.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2