momochan86

Merging a few shapes into a single shape/object (not grouping)?

I need to do this so I can make a pixel layer to add some texture without the various shapes showing lines/edges. I';ve succewssfully done this with the rest of the image as you can see in the attached photo. But those were all single shapes.

I made this alien's body in 4 different shapes but I want them completely merged. I thought I could group them and add new pixel layer... but no matter where I place the pixel layer... it's just not right.

How do I merge these 4 shapes into 1 shape? Not just group them.

I feel like it's an obvious answer....

make single shape.png

Well... I ended up using the node tool to make the body shape into the single shape (and delete the collar and breast area shapes)

... not sure if that was the best way to go about it but it looks okay now.

If I understand what you want to do correctly, just select all four shapes & use Layer menu > Geometry > Add, or the Add button on the Operations section of the toolbar.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

On 7/30/2017 at 7:08 PM, R C-R said:

If I understand what you want to do correctly, just select all four shapes & use Layer menu > Geometry > Add, or the Add button on the Operations section of the toolbar.

Thanks RCR, this gave me the answer that I was looking for.

Also look at Compound Shapes which allow easy adjustment of combined objects.

Or use your group as a mask on the pixel layer (rather than nesting the pixel layer inside the group).

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

How I make GIFs >>> ScreenToGIF (Windows only, Open Source, Portable, ~600kB)

On 7/30/2017 at 11:08 AM, R C-R said:

Awesome. Thanks :)