Hi there I am using the newest stable version of Affinity Designer and I am running into some interesting problems. 

Here are a couple of my issues. 

1.a) When I put things in my asset library and then when they are "rebuilt" back into a project I get lines separating my images. As you can see in the photo I have uploaded labeled "linesoriginal" the image I have created looks like one seemless image. This was so in and out of the program (exported). I uploaded it into my asset library for later use. And now when I bring an asset back into a project the image is separated by lines showing the multiple layers which you can see in the image "lines". 

1.b) I also have the lines appear when I have to objects that should appear as one (i have the grid and snapping on) but show a gap inbetween the two images. Most of the time I can merge the images so it isnt a problem, but some of the time I cannot due to how I have built the images or layers to be more easily used in my animation programs.

2) In the image i posted labeled "wrongoutline1" you can see that I have no outline color selected, when selecting the a color for the entire image it instead turns my entire screen to the chosen color rather than coloring the border of the image selected as shown in "wrongoutline2".

3) Another problem I have (sorry no screenshot) when opening a previously saved and closed file. Any image that is not within the background workspace parameters disappears and can only be seen when dragged back into the workspace area. So for example if I am working on 300px X 300px workspace nothing outside of that shows up once the file is reloaded into the program.

Love the program, I have been using it daily for about two months now. These are just a couple of the bugs I have ran into so far. Thanks for any replies and/or fixes.

lines.PNG

linesoriginal.PNG

wrongoutline1.PNG

wrongoutline2.PNG

Hi Pixel Mush,

Glad you're enjoying the software. 

Would it be possible for you to attach the files shown in your screenshots please?

The corner tile from point 1 prior to being added to the Asset Panel would be very useful so we can try to reproduce the problem. Also the chest before adding the line, and the file mentioned in point 3 would also be really useful.

Thanks.

On 8/3/2017 at 8:42 AM, Sean P said:

Hi Pixel Mush,

Glad you're enjoying the software. 

Would it be possible for you to attach the files shown in your screenshots please?

The corner tile from point 1 prior to being added to the Asset Panel would be very useful so we can try to reproduce the problem. Also the chest before adding the line, and the file mentioned in point 3 would also be really useful.

Thanks.

Well the first problem I had was solved by reading through some other people's problems and adjusting my settings.

The second problem I had I cannot send you the files because I save everything into my assets and just export my assets rather than having 200+ save files for the game I'm working on. So the that "file" no longer exists. But it has happened to me a couple times randomly. The next time it does I will save the file separate to attach.

The 3rd problem happens with just about every file I save. But like I mentioned above I usually just save over most files as I tend to place everything in my asset library. I will once again attach a file when I run into that problem.

Fourth does this look about right as far as memory usage? I have 16gb of ram and this is a screen shot when absolutely nothing is going on inside of Affinity and no file is loaded. The program is just sitting idle.

Capture.png

I feel like that is a lot of memory being used when nothing is actually happening. Thanks for any replies.

8 hours ago, Pixel Mush said:

Fourth does this look about right as far as memory usage? I have 16gb of ram and this is a screen shot when absolutely nothing is going on inside of Affinity and no file is loaded. The program is just sitting idle.

Capture.png

I feel like that is a lot of memory being used when nothing is actually happening. Thanks for any replies.

Is that directly after launching the app or is that after you've been working on it and closed some files down. If it's directly after launching the app then that is not correct. There is a known issue whereby opening and closing files doesn't always free up the memory.

5 hours ago, Sean P said:

Is that directly after launching the app or is that after you've been working on it and closed some files down. If it's directly after launching the app then that is not correct. There is a known issue whereby opening and closing files doesn't always free up the memory.

That is directly after launch, and stays that way for as long as I keep the application open (while not doing anything) so I know it's not just booting up. Sometimes it only takes up 2gb while 50%-60% of the time it is as shown above.

9 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

That's way too much for baseline memory usage. In beta 1.6.0.79, the baseline memory for Designer is 233mb.

Is there something you folks require of me? Do you want a screen shot of my settings or should I change anything? Or is there not much I can do on my end?

7 minutes ago, Pixel Mush said:

Is there something you folks require of me?

Could you go to %appdata%\Affinity\Designer\ and then rename the 1.0 folder to something like 1.0_Backup and then launch Designer and see how much it uses then. Please be aware this will effectively clear all your Assets and other settings. However to get them back simply delete the 1.0 folder that has been recreated and rename 1.0_Backup to 1.0.

I'm wondering if it is your additional assets that is causing the increased memory usage. 

17 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Could you go to %appdata%\Affinity\Designer\ and then rename the 1.0 folder to something like 1.0_Backup and then launch Designer and see how much it uses then. Please be aware this will effectively clear all your Assets and other settings. However to get them back simply delete the 1.0 folder that has been recreated and rename 1.0_Backup to 1.0.

I'm wondering if it is your additional assets that is causing the increased memory usage. 

I did what you said and it seems to be the case.  I suppose my only option is to save everything into files so I can remove it all from my assets correct? Some of my assets are from "Frankentoon" I suppose I will start by removing all of theirs before my own to see how much ram that will save me. I guess my only gripe would be it kind of defeats the purpose of saving things as assets (in my eyes). Appreciate the response.

7 minutes ago, Pixel Mush said:

I did what you said and it seems to be the case.  I suppose my only option is to save everything into files so I can remove it all from my assets correct? Some of my assets are from "Frankentoon" I suppose I will start by removing all of theirs before my own to see how much ram that will save me. I guess my only gripe would be it kind of defeats the purpose of saving things as assets (in my eyes). Appreciate the response.

Before you start removing files would you be willing to send me your 1.0 folder zipped up please? I can give you a internal Dropbox link so I can get it passed onto development.

EDIT: Use this Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/request/qNuy2qFdKUB2zpxLrWqv

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

Before you start removing files would you be willing to send me your 1.0 folder zipped up please? I can give you a internal Dropbox link so I can get it passed onto development.

EDIT: Use this Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/request/qNuy2qFdKUB2zpxLrWqv

The compressed folder has been uploaded.

Edited by Pixel Mush
Updated file status

Thanks for the file! I've reproduced it instantly. Unfortunately it is your Asset folder that is causing the memory to shoot up. Looking at the assets you are using a lot of 300dpi pixel layers in them to add texture. For example I counted about 37 on just one of the character assets. If all 5 of those assets have the same amount that is 185 300dpi pixel layers in 5 assets!

With that said though I personally don't think we should be loading them until the user places them, so I'm going to pass it onto the dev team.

3 minutes ago, Pixel Mush said:

I understand the cause but not the reasoning behind using the memory for things not in the document.

Neither do I! xD It's in their hands now though. :)