You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Better ergonomic layout for common needs

I am using Affinity Photo on a 12.9" Ipad with a apple pencil. I am right handed, so I hold the ipad with my left hand and draw with my right. The things I am about suggest should be easily flippable if I were a left handed person.

I've been using Affinity Photo for ipad for a couple days now and this is my strongest first impressions:

Chiefly, nothing makes more crazy than when the best positioned commands are infrequently used. For example: Why is the Home button in the upper left corner? First, it looks like a undo button and its the easiest button to hit with my left hand. Yet how frequently do I need to go to the home page--rarely. needs to be replaced with more frequently used command(s).

So it would be ideal if a frequently used command panel was located along the left edge. Here's my list of most frequent used buttons:

Quick menu:

1. Undo/Redo

2. Delete

3. Turn snap on/off--which I don't like the current offering--AT ALL! I don't like that snapping is buried under a submenu. I don't like that when I tap it, it brings up a giant list of options just to enable/disable it. Ideally, the option to adjust the settings should be buried in the submenu. But a basic enable/disable should be quickly accessible.

4. Flip horizontal/vertical

5. The color panel! Thats all I do in AP is load colors. Why isn't it prominently available somewhere!? Look at Sketchbook Pro or Procreate for inspiration. 

While this is my list. Someone else might expect other variants. So if we could customize this, it would be very helpful. And again, don't discount a left handed user. Seems like the ability to flip the entire UI would be helpful

• 4 weeks later...

Yes it's a good idea. it should be very useful. 

I got another idea. Pressing the screen with 3 fingers (or 2 ...) to show up a circular menu with different shortcuts (like procreate or Cinema 4D). It's can customizable in an option menu. It's very frustrating to use the small pop-up with only copy-paste's option ...

Clém !

On 29/7/2017 at 7:10 PM, kloveridge said:

I am using Affinity Photo on a 12.9" Ipad with a apple pencil. I am right handed, so I hold the ipad with my left hand and draw with my right. The things I am about suggest should be easily flippable if I were a left handed person.

I've been using Affinity Photo for ipad for a couple days now and this is my strongest first impressions:

Chiefly, nothing makes more crazy than when the best positioned commands are infrequently used. For example: Why is the Home button in the upper left corner? First, it looks like a undo button and its the easiest button to hit with my left hand. Yet how frequently do I need to go to the home page--rarely. needs to be replaced with more frequently used command(s).

So it would be ideal if a frequently used command panel was located along the left edge. Here's my list of most frequent used buttons:

Quick menu:

1. Undo/Redo

2. Delete

3. Turn snap on/off--which I don't like the current offering--AT ALL! I don't like that snapping is buried under a submenu. I don't like that when I tap it, it brings up a giant list of options just to enable/disable it. Ideally, the option to adjust the settings should be buried in the submenu. But a basic enable/disable should be quickly accessible.

4. Flip horizontal/vertical

5. The color panel! Thats all I do in AP is load colors. Why isn't it prominently available somewhere!? Look at Sketchbook Pro or Procreate for inspiration. 

While this is my list. Someone else might expect other variants. So if we could customize this, it would be very helpful. And again, don't discount a left handed user. Seems like the ability to flip the entire UI would be helpful

You can change to lefthand in settings on the Gallery page. I tried this to get undo/redo and color to my left (my free hand when using pen) as I'm also right handed. The application is ported from Mac/PC to iPad so the programmers probably isn't used to operate a program with both hands on screen, so I fear that they might not understand the problem. I also use Procreate and can recommend Snapseed for normal photo adjustments until Affinity eventual fixes gui :-)