You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Custom Workspace  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like the option to create custom workspaces in Affinity Photo?

• Yes
    • No

I want to suggest a feature for the iPad version of Affinity Photo. I would like some options to customize the workspace to my liking and be able to save it for later use. I wish I could customize the panels by dragging into them the tools & shortcuts that I use most and removing the ones I rarely use. This would allow me to create a workspace that suits my workflow, which is very important for working quickly and having an enjoyable experience when using the program. A custom workspace can be useful to anyone and it may be different according to the type of project that someone is working on.

• 2 weeks later...

Although the obvious way to customize the panels is by deciding what will be in them, it would also help to have some options for adjusting their size, shape, translucency, placement & behavior.

When you’re working on creative projects, it’s not only the tools that matter but also how easily you can access those tools and whether the workspace fosters or hinders your workflow.

Even the same types of projects may require different tools depending on the artist & themes involved. For example, with a project like a poster, the workflow can be different depending on the elements of that poster. A poster that focuses on portraits will require a different process than one with more fantasy elements.

If workspace customization was possible, it would also invite people who are interested in digital painting/drawing to use this program. I know that Affinity Photo avoids advertising to digital artists, as it's meant for photo editing, but it is a very capable program for that purpose as well. Its main function may be photo editing but it will certainly invite more artists if you make it possible to customize the workspace. This is the type of program that would be great to use in tandem with apps like Procreate.

I hope the Affinity Photo team will take this suggestion into consideration.

hi there. newbie here.

i know the thing here is about affinity photo but i think the same goes to designer in desktop

just using afd for a couple of days, so far it is very ok, just asking if there is any way to reduce the size of icons, panels, text , so i could have more free and cleaner area of work? Yes with tab we can hide them all but...

Lightwave is soooo clean..

AF_Designer UI.jpg

LW_UI.jpg

• Staff

Hi dionisio,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If you double-click the panel's tabs (over their name) you can collapse them. You can also drag them out of the right or left studio panels and arrange them as you see fit (again collapsing them may help to gain some space) - see attached clip. 

panels.gif

With regards to affinity on the iPad, some level of customisation might be nice. I'm not sure I'd need complete control like transparency (but I'd like a light mode like Affinity on the desktop is getting :D)

The ability to go into a 'customise mode' maybe? Then deselect the tools and panels, or rearrange the tools I want, might be nice. Not super essential though as Affinity is very clean. I appreciate the thought that has gone into making the interface and panels focused.

We might be straying into 'custom personnas' here though and I don't know if that is a good idea or not.

Maybe what I'm actually after is for open panels to remain open when I hit the full screen button.

hi, thanks MEB. It does work, if it could work in a dropdown on hoover over it...just thoughts.

..Jethro, hi. Agree with you not an essential issue, not even a issue. "Not super essential though as Affinity is very clean", yes it is. I keep thinking that we could rescale the sizes of all the items.

thank you guys

• 2 weeks later...

I like the workspace customization options in Paintstorm Studio (desktop version, unsure of iPad version as I haven't tried it). I'd definitely love to see something like that in Affinity Photo (iPad version). I think this feature alone would make Affinity Photo much more appealing and draw in more users.

This is absolutely essential because in the day-to-day work everybody uses 30-40% of the features only. Some features one may never use at all. Then it becomes the clutter. Here is an example: I use dodge and burn brushes all the time intermittently. Now, why do I have to have one icon slot for both of them? To save room for other icons, I rarely use? LIke cropping for example. How many time do you crop your artwork? Once, twice? This is UX 101.

I really hope the developers will consider it because a feature like this would make Affinity Photo much more popular. One of the main reasons why people choose to use a program is that they like the way the workspace feels. They love how quick and easy it is to access the tools and to perform various actions with a minimum number of steps. However, not everyone works the same, so it would be hard to please everyone unless you offer good customization options. This would help all users, whether they're interested in photo manipulation or digital painting. Maybe not all of the customization options I suggested will be important to everyone but I think at least some of them would make a big difference for most people.