You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Auto Inpainting After Crop?

Hi,

In the desktop version, after you're straightened and image, or created a panorama, etc. and are left with blank areas around the canvas with no data, there's an easy way to have those areas automatically inpainted/filled based on content in proximity. Much like "content-aware" fills in Photoshop. 

Is there a way to do with with the iPad version? I know I can manually use the inpainting brush around the periphery, but it's a bit tedious and hit & miss. Any way to fill these areas with auto-inpainting like you can with the desktop version?

It works, but erratically and incompletely.  The only way I've found so far to get it to work as skiphunt wants is to Duplicate the layer, rotate and crop, then Rasterize the layer and use Current Layer and Below to Inpaint the transparent sections.  Even then, it acts more like the Clone tool than true inpainting.

1 minute ago, LilleG said:

It works, but erratically and incompletely.  The only way I've found so far to get it to work as skiphunt wants is to Duplicate the layer, rotate and crop, then Rasterize the layer and use Current Layer and Below to Inpaint the transparent sections.  Even then, it acts more like the Clone tool than true inpainting.

Well, this is what I'm already doing, ie. manually inpainting in. Thanks, but I think you misunderstood the question. What I was asking about, and what MEB replied to... is the function of automatically "inpainting" in all of the canvas exposed when you do a panorama or straighten the image. The desktop version does this. You don't have to manually "inpaint" it in like you're describing. The desktop version actually does an awesome job of this consistently, and I'd venture to say even more accurately than Photoshop's "content-aware" fill. 

However, according to MEB... it doesn't look like that function made it into the iPad version.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just found that you have to rasterise before inpainting into transparent corners (and after canvas stretch).

Process:

• Layer/Rasterise…

• Select/Alpha Range/Select Opaque

• Select/Invert Pixel Selection

• Edit/Inpaint

• Select/Deselect

Macro to do this in one click attached.

Dave's Alpha Inpaint.afmacros

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

On 7/28/2017 at 0:37 PM, LilleG said:

Ah!  Overlooked that part of your post.

2 hours ago, dmstraker said:

I've just found that you have to rasterise before inpainting into transparent corners (and after canvas stretch).

Process:

• Layer/Rasterise…

• Select/Alpha Range/Select Opaque

• Select/Invert Pixel Selection

• Edit/Inpaint

• Select/Deselect

Macro to do this in one click attached.

Dave's Alpha Inpaint.afmacros

Well, this is what I'm already doing, ie. manually inpainting in. Thanks, but I think you misunderstood the question. What I was asking about, and what MEB replied to... is the function of automatically "inpainting" in all of the canvas exposed when you do a panorama or straighten the image. The desktop version does this. You don't have to manually "inpaint" it in like you're describing. The desktop version actually does an awesome job of this consistently, and I'd venture to say even more accurately than Photoshop's "content-aware" fill. 

However, according to MEB... it doesn't look like that function made it into the iPad version.

Okay, this is twice that the auto-inpaint function in Photo for the desktop has been mentioned.  How do I go about using that?  I'm using Beta 1.6.4 running under El Capitan and Edit>Inpaint is grayed out in the menu.  I'm assuming that is how you find/use auto-inpaint, or should I be looking elsewhere?  And what, do I need to do after straightening?   Help, please.

Auto Inpainting only works on Panoramas in the Panorama "Studio".  Applied when exiting the Studio if requested to do so

If has nothing to do with Edit > Inpaint

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Ah, thank you!  Now I can stop looking for something that only exists in a Persona that I seldom, if ever, use.  Guess I'll go read the Help some more and see if it will tell me what Edit>InPaint is supposed to do and when.

Edit: Thanks to both Carl123 and MEB.

Edited by LilleG

17 minutes ago, LilleG said:

.... Guess I'll go read the Help some more and see if it will tell me what Edit>InPaint is supposed to do and when.

Edit > Inpaint works like the Inpainting Brush but it specifically only works on selections.

So rather than brushing over the area you want to Inpaint you instead make a selection of the area (using any of the selection tools/methods) then Edit > Inpaint will Inpaint specifically within that selection, using the pixels that are outside but surround that selection

It basically the same function as Inpainting but working in a slightly different way, which can be useful in some circumstances.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thanks again, Carl.  I was in process of posting the statement below when you beat me to it. :)  But I always appreciate the helpful responses that you get on this forum.

"Help was, as usual, helpful. :)  By pre-selecting all the missing edges after a Rotate, I can use Edit>InPaint to inpaint all of them at once, rather than using the InPaint Brush to do each side individually."

24 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi LilleG,

Here's the inpainting tool in the Panorama Persona:

inpainting_panorama.png

To use the Edit ▸ Inpaint  command (which is a different thing as carl123 pointed out) you must have a pixel selection active.

Just to be clear.. this is the desktop version only that we can do the auto-paint/inpaint of extra canvas around a panorama correct? 

My original post was specifically about doing this in iPad Photo, not the desktop version. We still can't do this on the iPad correct?

Hello all,

bit of a panic.

Need to inpatient/fill in the background on their straighten & crop to Landscape.

I don't think Cloning will work well enough (method I've used for other shots)

Could someone please do the how to simply and quickly for me.

Much obliged

Sharkey

Screen Shot 2017-08-20 at 13.08.38.png

MacPro (late 2013), 24Gb Ram, D300GPU, Eizo 24",1TB Samsung 850 Archive, 2x2Tb Time Machine,X-t2 plus 50-140mm & 18-55mm. AP, FRV & RawFile Converter (Silkypix).

@sharkey

Difficult to say without seeing the original image.  But you can quickly try..

Select > Alpha Range > Fully Transparent

then...

Edit > Inpaint

and see how that looks

22 minutes ago, carl123 said:

@sharkey

Difficult to say without seeing the original image.  But you can quickly try..

Select > Alpha Range > Fully Transparent

then...

Edit > Inpaint

and see how that looks

Thank you Carl.

After inpainting nothing happens. Left with invisible background with ants round it?

MacPro (late 2013), 24Gb Ram, D300GPU, Eizo 24",1TB Samsung 850 Archive, 2x2Tb Time Machine,X-t2 plus 50-140mm & 18-55mm. AP, FRV & RawFile Converter (Silkypix).

Can you upload the png file or afphoto file?

OK understood, but it should do something.

Try right clicking on the layer (in the layers panel) and select Rasterise, then try again.

Thank you again Carl.

Because it will eventually be quite a small print I have managed with the Clonetool.

I will research a little more later.

Thank you