You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

linked tints and shades of a global color

Is it possible now, or will it be possible in the future, to create tints and shades of a global color which are linked to the global color in a way that when you change the global color the tint and shade change as well?

This would be extremely helpful when giving an object a single color that can be changed at any time. I know there is the FX tool to change colors but when that is exported to another file type the effect is rasterized.

Illustrator has this now, but with tints only I believe.

So far as I can see tints / shades of global colours are not present. Which is a shame as it is a feature I used in Xara Designer in the past.

It is possible to use an adjustment layer to recolour, but this is not ideal as it is only a raster effect, not affecting the true colours of the vector image.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• 1 month later...

Actually you can make a colour be a tint of a global colour already, but sadly not shades of a global colour, not sure why this feature was sort of half-baked like that. First create a global colour, then apply it to an object, and then go back to edit the colour of the object and it should appear as just a tint slider.

Xara does a far, far superior job of managing colour dependencies, where you make 'named' colours, and then other colours can be based on the named colour in various ways, including things like inheriting hue and/or sat and/or val, and then whatever you decide not to inherit, you can override. Moreover, you can then make other colours depend on that modified colour, and so on. It also covers tints and shades of course, and you can even do stuff like inherit say red and green components, and modify just the blue, etc.

What I'd really like is if AD could do everything that Xara can do in that regard, and one extra feature to also be able to make a colour based on another colour but with a relative hue+saturation+value offset to it, so you could make automatically analogous shades, etc. Basically the same as Xara but with a 'relative' option instead of just 'inherit' or 'not inherit' would be awesome. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.