You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PLEASE give us back the ability to turn off email notifications

This is getting ridiculous. With the old forum software we could choose which, if any, kinds of activities generated email notifications. Now, the forum moderator(s) have disabled the Someone comments on something I follow option so I cannot choose not to receive email notifications for that. There are a few other notification choices also disabled, but this one seems totally unnecessary & easy for a moderator to change in just a minute or two.

As things stand now, my email address that previously received maybe 10 new messages a week now sometimes gets many more than that in one day. This is more than a trivial annoyance for me -- because it takes a considerable amount of time for message summaries to load on my phone & that eats battery power, it means I can't rely on important, time sensitive messages getting through to me when I am out & about.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Are the settings really disabled in your account? All mine are active, able to be set. I get no emails with the exception if someone PMs me (maybe it's if they email me).

Maybe see if another browser shows them as changeable? 

The setting are also disabled for me, can't switch off the emails.  Previously thought it was an oversight by the moderators, but lack of any official response is both annoying and perplexing.

It needs sorting... right now my inbox is effectively being spammed by Serif with emails I don't want.

I don't need my workflow interrupted by a pop up message saying "You have a new email" only to find it's another email from the Affinity forum.

When I choose to visit the forum I will respond (or not) to any new notifications but please don't force these emails into my inbox.

You are spamming me, I don't like it, I don't need it.  Someone, somewhere needs to take ownership of this "problem" and respond or fix it.

Excuses such as "we are a small team" or "we are busy on other things" are not considered reasonable excuses to totally ignore the issue.

Common courtesy would expect an official response of some sort or another, there has been nothing and it's been long enough since this "problem" was first reported.

settings.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

5 hours ago, MikeW said:

Are the settings really disabled in your account? All mine are active, able to be set. I get no emails with the exception if someone PMs me (maybe it's if they email me). 

Can you really turn of the 'Someone comments on something I follow' notification, Mike? Have you tried turning off the other one you mention ('I receive a message')? I can't turn off either of these, and I don't need either of them! I'll see the comments when I view my unread followed content, and any PMs I receive will be read and replied to on here, so I see no point in having anything more than the "in-app" notification.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 hours ago, MikeW said:

Maybe see if another browser shows them as changeable? 

Yes, the settings for Someone comments on something I follow (& Someone 'likes' something I posted, plus a few others) really are disabled -- the switches for them are greyed out & hovering the mouse pointer over them pops up a 'tooltip-like' message that says "The administrator has disabled this option from being toggled."

As you suggested, I normally use Safari but just now I also tried using Firefox & Chrome with exactly the same results.

As I mentioned in my first post, it should be very quick & easy for someone with administrator privileges to enable these options -- unless I am missing something, it just requires flipping the appropriate switch in the "Member Can Edit?" column of the "Members>Member Settings>Notifications" of the admin Control Panel, as per this Invision Power support page. I can't see how this could cause any problems -- if anything, it would reduce the load on the email servers a bit -- but if it would, I would really appreciate an official response of some kind.

Perhaps the most annoying aspect to this is every email I get includes a line that states, "Prefer to stop receiving these emails? Unfollow or Adjust your notification preferences." The second link takes me directly to the Notification Settings page where, just as in Carl's screenshot, the same line is highlighted in pink, as if I could "adjust" that preference, but I cannot.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Here's the first section in my account settings...

capture-001287.png.7ef5ff10969ac9882e1af0ca36600afd.png

And the pertinent screen as I had it set...

capture-001288.thumb.png.9cf8c1636daa6b4575f9f80ccf3f6a26.png

And that I can change settings...

capture-001289.thumb.png.ef59a758cd0f914bed25ce7c9a7f0009.png

I never choose to follow a post, which is why I likely left those settings live. But I can change them...unless I am not following what the thread is about.

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

I never choose to follow a post, which is why I likely left those settings live. But I can change them...unless I am not following what the thread is about.

Well, this is very weird: I turned off the two automatic settings in the first section, leaving sending me news & info turned on ... & without hitting the save button I was then able to toggle off the email notifications & toggle on the list notifications for comments on things I follow. Turning back on the two automatic settings & clicking the save button left those two notifications settings as I set them and now I can toggle them without getting the 'admin disabled' message! O.o:So.O

I hope this really works & I stop getting all those emails, but it seems like the whole notifications preferences thing is a bit buggy.

Affinity Photo 

29 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Well, this is very weird: I turned off the two automatic settings in the first section, leaving sending me news & info turned on ... & without hitting the save button I was then able to toggle off the email notifications & toggle on the list notifications for comments on things I follow. Turning back on the two automatic settings & clicking the save button left those two notifications settings as I set them and now I can toggle them without getting the 'admin disabled' message! O.o:So.O

I hope this really works & I stop getting all those emails, but it seems like the whole notifications preferences thing is a bit buggy.

THANKS!

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

I think someone  must have changed things behind the scenes. I didn't have those two automatic settings turned on, but earlier today I couldn't turn off the 'Someone comments on something I follow' or the 'I receive a message' email notifications. Now I can, and I have!

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

I think someone  must have changed things behind the scenes. I didn't have those two automatic settings turned on, but earlier today I couldn't turn off the 'Someone comments on something I follow' or the 'I receive a message' email notifications. Now I can, and I have!

Maybe so, but if that is true then my timing must have been perfect -- less than an hour before my 'this is weird post,' I had checked the settings again & still was getting the 'admin has disabled' popup.

I don't really care though, as long as it works! :)

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I don't really care though, as long as it works! :)

Ditto! biggrin.gif

Alfred spacer.png