You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(Videos) Shooting Series - Photographic Techniques

James Ritson

• Staff

Hey all, I'm really happy to announce that I've just released the first few videos of my passion project, the Shooting Series!

header.jpg

What it's about

I love photography and video - I'll often go out and shoot specific material for use in the Affinity Photo tutorials to demonstrate certain features, and this has fed into my desire to cover a mixture of well-known and esoteric shooting techniques.

It's my goal, then, to produce a video series that looks at all kinds of weird and wonderful photographic techniques - from shooting for stacking (long exposure simulation, noise reduction) to light painting, "big stopper" effects, portrait panoramas, focus stacking landscapes.. the list goes on. I'm constantly gathering material and planning/scripting videos, but I've just put the finishing touches on a few of the videos and felt it was about time to share them. Where applicable, I'll also be providing sample materials to download. Additionally, I've also put accompanying articles up on my website that provide some additional tips and insights.

long_exposure_water.jpg

Long Exposure WaterWatch on YouTube - Read article

In this video we're looking at the popular technique of using long exposure times to create shots with blurred motion; in this particular case, we're focusing on water. When you shoot water with long exposures, it takes on a smoother, "flowing" and sometimes ethereal appearance. In the video, I cover the use of both variable and fixed Neutral Density filters, as well as square filters with a filter bracket.

burst_stacking.jpg

Burst Stacking - Watch on YouTube - Read articleDownload sample images

Here we're exploring the use of stacking in post to create a long exposure look from a burst of images. It's a very esoteric technique, but can prove very useful in certain circumstances: you could, for example, find yourself in a situation where you want to achieve a long exposure look to some water, but don't have either a means of stabilisation or any ND filters to cut down the light for a slower shutter speed.

I've also provided a ZIP archive with image samples for two of the compositions so you can stack them and see the effect.

big_stopper.jpg

Big Stopper - Watch on YouTube - Read articleDownload sample images

In this video we're taking a look at setting up the camera for a "big stopper" effect with landscapes, as well as exploring stacking in post production to both enhance and emulate the effect.

Also provided is a ZIP archive with image samples for two of the examples so you can experiment with stacking them.

polarisers.jpg

Polarisers - Watch on YouTube - Read article

In this short and sweet video we're taking a look at polarisers, examining their benefits and caveats.

portrait_panoramas.jpg

Portrait Panoramas - Watch on YouTube - Read article

Check out how to capture more vertical space in your panoramas by shooting in portrait orientation.

---

Hope you find them interesting and useful!

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

• 2 years later...
5 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

broken post & broken links??

Yes, like your Malta photos!

I tried the 'read article' links first since I prefer writing and pictures to videos. They did not work, and neither did the videos.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• Staff

I'm worried the forum software has lost some of the images (here and elsewhere), but the links are surely independent of these forums.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon