You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have version 1.5.2.69 of Affinity Photo. I's like to copy a design in Adobe Indesign and create a new document using Affinity Photo just like I do using Adobe Photoshop. But, my "New from Clipboard" is always grayed out" Any idea why? No problem doing this with Photoshop.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, oregonjohn. :)

From the build number that you've quoted, I infer that you're using the Windows version of APh (as I am). Is 'Edit > Paste Special' available as an option, and if so, what formats are listed to choose from?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 7 months later...
17 minutes ago, oregonjohn said:

Months have gone by and still no ability for NEW FROM CLIPBOARD. I'd like to switch from Adobe Photoshop but... this feature is important .Affinity - can you help?

Seven months have gone by since you created this thread and I responded! Where have you been hiding? :P

Have you updated to version 1.6 in the meantime? Did you look at the ‘Paste Special’ option that I mentioned?

Alfred spacer.png

I just copied something from Designer and in Photo, New From Clipboard worked flawlessly, copying a mixture of text, shapes and bitmaps. (below)

NEWFROM.jpg.e5cd31b6e6647af04f0c21ff9439a201.jpg

new.jpg.80639500227a5de949110dcef9df1758.jpg

Affinity Photo Windows 1.6 

As Alfred says, have you upgraded ?

For what it's worth, if New From Clipboard is greyed out, that would indicate that there is nothing on the clipboard. Are you sure you are selecting and copying correctly ?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

But OregonJohn didn't say he's using Designer, @toltec; he said he's using Adobe InDesign.

Photo would need to be able to understand whatever format InDesign used for the clipboard contents, and that seems like it could be unlikely (probably proprietary).

Alfred's question about Edit->Paste Special seems like a good one, to me. But I also agree that OregonJohn should update to the current version of Affinity Photo and try again.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I just tried something from Word, An image with a MS Word border. New from Clipboard worked fine

I just don't think it would be greyed out if there is something on the clipboard ? It might not load it, obviously.

I've just copied a page in a template from Indesign to Affinity Photo (APh) using New from Clipboard.

Indesign - New from clipboard.afphoto

Brochure Portrait.indd

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I want to say "thank you" to everyone who has replied. For the past 6 months i continue to use Photoshop because i am unable to use the NEW FROM CLIPBOARD. I have the most current version of Affinity Photo for Windows (version 1.6.4.104). At least that is what I recently updated to. I was hoping my problem had been fixed. I tried the Paste Special but I first need to create a new document and then can "paste special" into it. My NEW FROM CLIPBOARD is always grayed out. I have never seen it otherwise.

How it worked with Indeign and Photoshop, I select an Indesign layout and copy it. The COPY placed it on the Windows Clipboard. I open Photoshop and and click on NEW and the dialog that pops up already has sized the new Photoshop document to the exact size from the clipboard because i specify the clipboard as the Preset. This all sets the color space (CMYK) and dpi and the transparent background. I say OK, which created the new Photoshop document sized exactly right. I then go to EDIT/PASTE and paste the document into photoshop. Now i can flatten the document or do whatever i need to within Photoshop. It paste the item as a smart object.

I'd like to do this exact same procedure within Affinity Photo. But, my NEW FROM CLIPBOARD is ALWAYS grayed out. I am willing to uninstall and reinstall Affinity Photo if you think that would help. I am merely trying to get away from Adobe. Any ideas? Here is a snap shot of my Affinity Photo showing the grayed out NEW FROM CLIPBOARD just after copying an item to the clipboard in Indesign.

affinityphoto.jpg

My NEW FROM CLIPBOARD is always grayed out.

I suggest that you treat yourself to a freeware clipboard viewer such as InsideClipboard so that you can see exactly what formats are available from the clipboard after you've copied something from InDesign.

Alfred spacer.png

NEW FROM CLIPBOARD is ALWAYS grayed out.

What happens if you copy something from within Designer. Does New From Clipboard appear then ?

10 hours ago, oregonjohn said:

I do not own Designer. Regarding the clipboard the formats available on the clipboard are PDF and InDesignInterchange

Sorry,  I have Designer on the brain. I meant what happens if you copy something in Photo, and then go New from Clipboard ? or even if you do a screengrab and then go New from Clipboard ?

I'm really curious. The clipboard should copy all sorts of things, how do you know the formats available are PDF and InDesignInterchange ? Is there something special about your clipboard ? or is it a setting in InDesign ?

Indesign preferences has a clipboard handling setting but it only allows you to specify PDFand/or Indesign Interchange formats. I am using InsideClipboard to view the clipboard content. If I use Adobe Photoshop to open an image and copy it to the clipboard the Affinity Photo NEW FROM CLIPBOARD is finally available and I can paste the image into Affinity Photo. So, Affinity Photo must not accept PDF clipboard items at least those from Indesign. Seems to me that the developers could fix this problem. PDF is a very common format. Maybe more testing to conclusively prove this later...

Again, than you.

John

When you copy an image to the clipboard using Photoshop, and use InsideClipboard to view the clipboard, what formats does it show?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, genosse said:

New from clipboard" is grayed. Affinity Photo, 1.7.3, Mac OS X. It's freaking me out. How to fix it? 

What have you copied to the clipboard?

-- Walt
PC:

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, genosse said:

I've copied an image from Telegram Messenger. I can paste this picture in a new document, but the "New from Clipboard" is grayed out.

I don't know Telegram Messenger (good name for a song, or maybe a band, from the early '70s) so I don't know what kind of image it makes. I think it may be in a format the Affinity doesn't actually recognize.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Paste from Clipboard into document works good, but "New from Clipboard" is grayed out.

What should I do? Software does not work.

I would like to get a reasonable answer from affinity team instead of trolling. How can I get it? Is it possible here?  

Can I have a money back?

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I don't know Telegram Messenger (good name for a song, or maybe a band, from the early '70s) so I don't know what kind of image it makes. I think it may be in a format the Affinity doesn't actually recognize.

I live in 2020, what '70s do you live in? 1870?

2 minutes ago, genosse said:

I would like to get a reasonable answer from affinity team instead of trolling.

No one is trolling you, and many legitimate answers in the forums come from other users.

Someone from Serif may be along soon who will be able to help further. But they will probably want to get answers to the same questions we users are asking you.

It does sound like some kind of an incompatibility between Affinity Photo and Telegram Messenger. If you have any applications installed that can display the contents of the clipboard then it would help to provide a screenshot of what formats Telegram Messenger placed there.

But if this lack of New from Clipboard is important enough to make you want to give up on Photo: if you purchased directly from Serif (not the Mac App Store) within the last 14 days then Serif's return policy will let you return the software and get your money back. You can initiate that by emailing affinityreturns@serif.com if you meet those restrictions.

-- Walt
PC: