IvanR

Frequent crashes with no error massage

Greetings!

I'm experiencing frequent crashes (this is actually an understatement, because it crashes almost every time) in Photo 1.5.2.69. The program crashes after a couple of minutes. Sometimes I get to edit a photo for up to 10 min before it closes without an error message. And this keeps happening with many different files (psd, jpg, png, etc.).

I have tried to find the crash report under %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports, like it was suggested in the following thread, but the folder is empty: 

I have opened the log.txt file under \AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0 and there are several error massages in there. This is the entire text contained in the file:

Attempting to create Direct3D device on default adapter
Setting screen DPI to 141.767441860465 (scale = 1.0)
WinTab: Failed to load Wintab32.dll
WinTab: Failed to create tablet context
Attempting to create Direct3D device on default adapter
Mesh.cpp(93): error 0x887A0005 (Die GPU-Geräteinstanz wurde angehalten. Verwenden Sie GetDeviceRemovedReason, um die erforderliche Aktion zu bestimmen.)Mesh.cpp(93): error 0x887A0005 (Die GPU-Geräteinstanz wurde angehalten. Verwenden Sie GetDeviceRemovedReason, um die erforderliche Aktion zu bestimmen.)

Mesh.cpp(93): error 0x887A0005 (Die GPU-Geräteinstanz wurde angehalten. Verwenden Sie GetDeviceRemovedReason, um die erforderliche Aktion zu bestimmen.)
Mesh.cpp(93): error 0x887A0005 (Die GPU-Geräteinstanz wurde angehalten. Verwenden Sie GetDeviceRemovedReason, um die erforderliche Aktion zu bestimmen.)
DXRenderer.cpp(722): error 0x80070005 (Zugriff verweigert)

I use Photo on an Acer Aspire V5 573G, with an i5 4200U, 8GB of RAM and a Geforce GT750M with 4GB of VRAM. My laptop is running Windows 10 Home with the latest updates (including .NET Framework 4.7). I don't have any issues with any other app and believe me, I have quite a few. GIMP, LR 5.7, PS Elements 14, Premiere Elements 14, Silverfast for scanning, Image composite editor, FastStone, 4 browsers, etc. All run 100% stable. 

I have also tried the latest beta version with the same results. It keeps crashing, however, not as often as version 1.5.2.69. 

Any ideas?

HI IVANR

you are not alone.  Crashing with no e m

I downloaded Affinity 1.5, installed fine but then crashed on first use. Had to resort to power button halt which I'm not keen on. I like the look of this program so I hope they sort it.

There was an issue with .NET Framework 4.7 which was causing crashes. We were asking users to remove it and re-download 4.7 as Microsoft fixed something their end, so that would be my first suggestion. Failing that, you can try downloading .NET Framework 4.6.2 and see if it is any more stable. 

I would suggest the .NET removal, or an update of your graphics card drivers, as for some reason the error message indicates that your GPU has been removed - which is obviously not the case...

The error code is:

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED.

The video card has been physically removed from the system, or a driver upgrade for the video card has occurred.

I just installed the newest update... and noticed that AD keeps crashing for like half a minute at a time. No error message (except on the header "(Not Responding)" 

Everything just freezes up. And then goes back to normal.

Before this update, I don't recall this ever happening.

It's like every two clicks I make, it freezes.

On 29/07/2017 at 5:06 AM, momochan86 said:

I just installed the newest update... and noticed that AD keeps crashing for like half a minute at a time. No error message (except on the header "(Not Responding)" 

Everything just freezes up. And then goes back to normal.

Before this update, I don't recall this ever happening.

It's like every two clicks I make, it freezes.

Could you provide us with a video and the file that you are using so that we can try to reproduce the problem?

I found a solution to my problem. As it turns out, Affinity Photo doesn't like it very much, when your machine has two GPUs, as is the case with a great many laptops nowadays. Since my laptop has an Intel GPU integrated into the processor and a dedicated Nvidia GPU, the system keeps switching between the two on the fly, depending on load. This technology is called Optimus and this seems to be the cause of all the crashes I have experienced. A few days ago I forced (in Nvidia drivers) Affinity Photo to run only on the Nvidia GPU and since then haven't experienced a single crash. I can finally use this software for serious retouching work.

I turned my computer of and worked on the file the next day with less problems.

Today, I'm working on a new file and it only froze once for like 2 seconds. 

I guess the solution is either restarting the program... OR restarting the computer.

A short update:

Since my last post I have observed 2 crashes, which is next to nothing considering how often I was using Photo.

Now for the interesting part: both crashes happened while I was editing 20MP .psd files, which are huge (140-150MB). I was also pushing Photo quite hard with half a dozen layers. Task manager was showing almost full RAM utilization (my laptop has 8GB of RAM). While this was happening the Opera browser with 30-40 tabs was running in the background and using a bit more than 2GB of RAM. There were no crashes when I was doing the same but w/o the browser running and w/o full RAM utilization. So my question is, could it be that Photo has an issue with swapping date to the swap file on Win 10? You guys should look into this.

EDIT:

@Mark Ingram

Were you able to reproduce the issue with Optimus I wrote about in my post above?

@IvanR, no I've not been able to reproduce it - however I believe it's the same crash that occurs when you upgrade your graphics driver and leave the Affinity applications open. So, I've fixed that, and I hope it's the same crash you've been experiencing (it certainly generates the same error message). I'll continue to try to replicate it here anyway.

Sorry to reopen this but i have this problem too with two new Laptops:

Dell G5 i5 8300h GTX1060 Max Q 16GB DDR4 2666 Ram

and

MSI G63 Raider 8RF i7 8750h GTX1070 16GB DDR4 2666

Everytime i do more demanding stuff (more layers, erazertool...) The Programm Crashes with no crash report and the same Message in Log as above.

Also Windows Error 89e-12292-582 f-4310-b6cc-e70d87a7ca25.

I use Windows 10 Home and Pro respectively with most recent Updates, the latter a fresh clean install.

Newest .Net, newest Nvidia and Intel Drivers.

Deactivating one ore the other Video Card doesnt help.

I cannot Use the programm at all... If this isnt fixed, i want my money back, because the Programm is completely useless to me.

On my Computer at work, with an NVidia Quadro  and older i5 it works perfectly. Seems to be a Laptop Problem