You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Beta - 1.6.4 (Beta 2)

• Staff

Purpose: New features, fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Photo

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: Here

This is the second beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it should be considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.6 may not open in 1.5 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.6 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.5 version.

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Changes this release

• Metal compute acceleration.
  • Significant improvements to light UI.
  • Metal display acceleration.
  • Custom brush wet edges.
  • Outlier stacking mode.
  • Fixed Export LUT Red/Blue swapping bug.
  • Fixed inability to hold shift and click in brush tools to create a straight line.
  • Improved Photoshop Plugin support.
  • Fixed bad / crashing macros cause by recording a 32bit preview mode change.
  • Fixed B&C macro arguments issues.
  • Fixed info panel samplers not being drawn.
  • Fixed artefacts with Live Filters.
  • Improved Live Filters performance
  • Pasting pixel data should always past pixel-aligned.
  • Fixed inability to load Procreate PSD files.
  • Localisation improvements.
  • Numerous bug fixes and stability improvements

Changes since last App Store release

• First and foremost, the 1.6 version is mainly about: Light UI! (go to Preferences->User Interface)
  • Improved view pan/zoom performance and new pixel-differencing pixel shader
  • Improved performance with large documents
  • New font chooser dropdown with recents, used fonts and favourites
  • New Glyph browser
  • Stroke stabiliser for all pencil and brush tools
  • Align to key items (first/last selected)
  • Text frame vertical alignment options
  • Fit frame to text (double-click on bottom centre handle).
  • Transform panel uses the rotation centre
  • Scale/shear can now be performed about rotation centre
  • Double-click now resets shape handles and rotate/shear handles
  • Many PDF export improvements including vector export of multi-stop gradients
  • Numerous bug fixes and stability improvements

Is Metal only used for live rendering/ only used on Macs with dedicated GPU?

I'm not seeing any significant improvement in rendering times of effects, in fact is is about 100% the same 

EDITED to add, the old iPad Pro is about twice as fast even with this metal update for Mac (was twice as fast before and still is)

Edited by MBd

4 minutes ago, Andy Somerfield said:

The Metal Compute acceleration is only for Macs with *integrated* GPUs - on Sky Lake and Kaby Lake processors onwards.

It's also off by default - turn it on in Preferences..

A

actually I have turned it on (and did a restart) and I am on Skylake (Touch bar MacBook Pro 13) 

Grid lines when using the live vignette filter. Macbook Air, MacOS Sierra. Also on iMac running El Capitan.

Feuer_und_Rauch.thumb.png.8924861e5f81cc35cf770c98e8557d72.png

best regards

Puck

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

Still getting artifacts here too in this beta2 with Live Filters.

I've pushed the settings some in this shot, just so you can see the lines clearly.

Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 00.14.43.png

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

• Staff
16 hours ago, MBd said:

performance on the first 5k iMac is exactly the same with or without metal which is expected I guess

there is a display glitch though using metal 

see here:

cheers

glitch.png

This 'display glitch' is the same thing I tried to explain in the Designer Beta threads - on Sierra with an AMD GPU, there is a bug in the Metal 3D texture lookup code which means that the blue channel of our colour transform is incorrectly interpolated. I told Apple about this and they fixed it - but only for High Sierra. If you are using High Sierra, it will be fine. If you are using anything other than an AMD GPU it will be fine on Sierra. I'll try to make this work before we release so that I don't have to disable the Metal view for AMD owners...

1 minute ago, MattP said:

This 'display glitch' is the same thing I tried to explain in the Designer Beta threads - on Sierra with an AMD GPU, there is a bug in the Metal 3D texture lookup code which means that the blue channel of our colour transform is incorrectly interpolated. I told Apple about this and they fixed it - but only for High Sierra. If you are using High Sierra, it will be fine. If you are using anything other than an AMD GPU it will be fine on Sierra. I'll try to make this work before we release so that I don't have to disable the Metal view for AMD owners...

ok sorry, I actually read you stuff in the designer thread but thought it would be fixed already (disabling it is probably fine cause it won't make any difference on any older machines anyway and new ones will ship with high Sierra mostly)

they better implement wifi handoff as well sooner than later

cheers 

Older iMac that does not have the GPU to accommodate the Metal Compute acceleration iis not set by default to off, however it is greyed out and message says no compatible GPU.  

Unsure about this setting, is it turned on and having an impact?  As it is greyed out, it can't be turned off.  

597b76e33895d_ScreenShot2017-07-28at10_39_07AM.png.12cfdb5c876c9b0b66aa948a7585133c.png597b771c5b425_ScreenShot2017-07-28at10_35_29AM.png.cbb8671d531458c20f27a31dab835b63.png

Edited by p_mac

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.