You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Coloring "within" chosen area (non spillage out of it) how?

As title asks.

For those wondering what I'm asking - There is a way to choose what area to color within, even if you color intentionally outside of it, Affinity won't register it.  (Keeps the color contained to chosen area) Thats what I'm asking, how do I activate this feature?

I ran across a tutorial on how to do it awhile back, (but I didn't need this knowledge at the time) didn't know I would.  Anyways... I think the guide is in one of the tutorials that comes with the app - I just don't know where. 

Thank you. 

Specs:

• iPad Pro 12.9 (2020 Model

— —- - - — - - - ——- - - —- - - - —- - - - - 

My Affinity Photo iPad Creations:

Urban Ninja vs. Drone || Folded Space || 1st Revolt

• Staff

I suspect it was the Quick Mask tutorial.

It covers Selecting an area using a Mask and once you've created the Selection from the Mask, you'd switch back to the Photo Persona and then anything you do now will only be applied to the selection.

You could also skip making a mask and just use the Smart Selection Brush in the Selections Persona to select an area and then switch back the Photo Persona and anything you do will now only be applied to the selection.

3 hours ago, stokerg said:

I suspect it was the Quick Mask tutorial.

It covers Selecting an area using a Mask and once you've created the Selection from the Mask, you'd switch back to the Photo Persona and then anything you do now will only be applied to the selection.

You could also skip making a mask and just use the Smart Selection Brush in the Selections Persona to select an area and then switch back the Photo Persona and anything you do will now only be applied to the selection.

Ok, 

so smart selection is the key.  Thank you. 

Quick question, would this also apply to layering? (I'm going to try it anyways, but thought I'd still ask)

Say I'm using a huge piece of layer, but only care for a portion of it to show onto my chosen area - can this smart selection brush technique be used with this scenario?

Specs:

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi Affinity iPad Student,

When you have a pixel selection active (no matter what tool you have used to create it), you can only affect the area inside that selection (the size of the layer is irrelevant).

As always @MEB  consistent with guidance and help. 

Thank you.

Specs: