You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do you trim the canvas in Designer?

• Staff

Hi Stokestack,

We don't have a trim canvas tool.  You could always select the items, copy them and then click File>New From Clipboard and this would give you a new canvas that is the size of the selected objects. 

2 hours ago, stokerg said:

We don't have a trim canvas tool.  You could always select the items, copy them and then click File>New From Clipboard and this would give you a new canvas that is the size of the selected objects. 

Alternately, you could select everything with "Select All" from the Select menu, use snapping to move the selection to the top left corner of the canvas, & with the Move tool still selected & the Transform panel visible, use File > Document Setup > Dimensions to set the canvas dimensions to the W & H values shown in the Transform panel with "Anchor to Page" & the top left anchor point selected in the Document window.

It is a little bit more work but avoids the need to create a new document. This is sometimes more convenient when the file already exists saved at the larger dimensions because you can save back to the same file with a normal Save command, instead of having to select a location for the new document & deleting the original one (which can be a bit tedious because Affinity doesn't always default to the appropriate save location).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 years later...

Thanks! It worked!

Thank you, MEB, for your post from 2017. I'm using Affinity Photo on my desktop iMac, but the advice quoted below worked perfectly. It was exactly what I needed to know to get a clean file without all the extra canvas around the edges. 

• "Select all layers directly from the Layers panel, then copy to the clipboard, finally use the command File ▸ New From Clipboard command to create a new document retaining the original layer's hierarchy."