jeffreymo

Fails to Save Document with Layers to Cloud Servers

When trying to save documents with Layers to Cloud Servers (OneDrive or DropBox), Photo returns an error message and fails to save the document. This is a consistent behavior and is applicable to both TIFF and PSD files. I am not sure if it is because of the layer preservation or the resulting large file sizes (300-700 Mb). Both of the services support files much larger than this, and I have uploaded and synced files as large as 2 GB. 

Running Photo ver 1.6.3.43 on a 2017 iPad Pro with the latest update of iOS 11 and 460 Gb available memory.

Hey jeffreymo,

I reported this to development a short while ago. I think anything with layers (I was using a PSD) over 100mb seems to return a dropbox.com error 413. I was told this is an issue with Dropbox and not us but I'm not so sure... 

I'll add your thread to the bug report anyway. 

On 7/26/2017 at 4:44 AM, Chris B said:

Hey jeffreymo,

I reported this to development a short while ago. I think anything with layers (I was using a PSD) over 100mb seems to return a dropbox.com error 413. I was told this is an issue with Dropbox and not us but I'm not so sure... 

I'll add your thread to the bug report anyway. 

Hmmm... I'm not convinced. Note that the save failed both for DropBox and OneDrive. Furthermore, I have uploaded and synced TIFF's and PSD's way over 100mb and with multiple layers to both services without any problems.

As far as I know, we will be using an API to connect the app to Dropbox and other cloud services so this will likely work very different from simply syncing files to a dedicated Dropbox app or its web browser. I've asked development to provide me with a proper answer as this question has cropped up a few times now. I'll get back to you once I hear from them. 

5 hours ago, Chris B said:

As far as I know, we will be using an API to connect the app to Dropbox and other cloud services so this will likely work very different from simply syncing files to a dedicated Dropbox app or its web browser. I've asked development to provide me with a proper answer as this question has cropped up a few times now. I'll get back to you once I hear from them. 

Thanks Chris. It also just occurred to me that once Apple releases their iOS "file system", this will become less critical as I can always do a manual transfer from there (not the best solution, but at least a work-around). It is very important, however, as I need to get edited images back to hard drives with all layers retained both for archiving and for desktop editing in PS (I have a batch of actions that I use very frequently).