You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there my dad has just recently downloaded affinity photo on his computer and whenever we open a photo the colour is very yellow where it should be white. It looks like others have had this same issue and always talk about wrong colour profiles but I'm not super tech savvy so hopefully someone can help me out and dumb it down.

• Staff

When you open the photo can you please goto the Document menu and then select convert ICC profile and from the pop up menu select the sRGB option at the bottom of the list and click convert.

Please let me know if the yellow tint changes or stays the same.

• 3 months later...

The OP is running it on Windows, so that solution isn't available there for him.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Sorry - I also have to drawback my solution. After restarting, the problem reappeared.

Switching forward an back between the graphics engines, cannot reproduce the method which worked before ....

So this is a cross-platform issue, wich is still present in the latest version of Affinity Designer.

-- Harald

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Same here.
Windows 10 with Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104.
Keeps me from using it currently.
Very disappointing - also that there is no official answer here.
I would have no problems with sharing technical info with technical support.
Anybody knows if there is such a thing at serif?

Update: I just stumbled accross this thread which at least contains an answer from the staff.

Update 2: For me the issue was resolved by doing the basic Windows monitor calibration which ended up in a color profile. Upon selecting that profile, the colors were correct again. Photoshop seems to just ignore faulty profiles.

Oh, and I had to restart Affinity to see the effect...

• 10 months later...

Switch the color profile to the one you use with your monitor on new documents or choose Document > Assign ICC Profile and choose the one you use for windows (sorry i'm luckily no mac user)! This helped me. Every other profile looked yellow since today.

Still: When opening an existing image that is in another color profile it gets yellow exactly like the screenshots from people above. So far this NEVER happened. Maybe it's the windows update from yesterday, but seriously I had never such huge problems with photo or even photoshop. At least I know now to assign the windows color profile and this switches even opened images to the correct color display.

• Staff

Hi oliiix,
Do you mind attaching screenshots of the Color Management dialog (both Devices and Advanced tabs) so we can see how you have them set up please? To access this dialog go to Start menu and enter Color Management in the search input field. I'm assuming you are running Windows 10.

• 4 months later...

Hi all!

I just experienced the same problem (white color in photos or color swatches has a yellow tint) and have a solution (or rather a workaround) that works for me and possibly for others as well.

Background

I have a Windows 7 machine and just upgraded my graphics card from AMD to Nvidia and noticed that Windows color management automatically assigned a color profile to my monitor (I don't really know where the profile came from - I have never attempted to calibrate my monitor). I remember manually deleting the assignment before (with my old AMD graphics card) because I had a yellow tint in Publisher. Now the profile is back and with it the color tint - in all color managed application. After deleting the profile assignment again, the yellow tint vanished for all color managed applications except Publisher. This problem occurs in all my tested versions (1.7.1 and 1.7.2).

Workaround

The workaround which works for me is to not only delete the profile assignment, but the profile itself (i.e. the physical file in which the profile is stored). Only then white is white again in Publisher. It seem Publisher does not correctly handle Windows color management settings and employs its own logic when assigning device profiles - interestingly this logic seems to differ depending on the graphics card manufacturer, but I'm just guessing. In this regard Publisher acts differently than all my other color-managed applications (like Photoshop, Lightroom or even the Windows built-in image viewer).

Step-by-step (on-screen text translated from the German Windows version, your text might read slightly different)

This is a step-by-step solution that works for me, YMMV. If you have calibrated your monitor using some hardware color calibration device you probably should not carry out these steps, but I guess in this case you don't have the problem to begin with.

1. Open Windows Color Management in the Control Panel.
  2. Select your monitor on the first tab ("Devices"). If your problem is similar to mine you'll see a profile assigned to your monitor in the box below.
  3. Check the "Use own settings for the device" box, click the assigned profile and click "Delete". This will delete the assignment, but not the profile itself.
  4. Check whether this solves your problem. If it persists continue.
  5. Open the "All Profiles" tab and look for the profile that was assigned to your monitor.
  6. Optional: Back up the profile file: Open a Windows Explorer window, navigate to C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color and copy your monitor profile from step 5 to a safe place.
  7. Select the profile in the color management window and click "Delete". This will physically delete the profile file (probably after asking for elevated rights). For me this step failed, so I manually deleted the file from the folder in step 6.
  8. Cross your fingers and check whether this solves your problem.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm getting this problem again after updating my Nvidia graphics drivers. 

The old solution I had success with (switching the renderer) doesn't seem to be having an effect.

See the attached screen grabs - you can see in "Screen Grab 1.png" Affinity Designer renders the background of the document in proper white, but the box I drew and filled with '100% white' has a yellow colour.

In the colour mixer, the text is white, but the 100% lightness colour is yellowy.

By the way, I have two monitors, the one on my Windows 10 laptop and an external monitor. The problem persists on both.

I can't use Affinity programs until this is fixed....

Screen Grab 1.png

Screen Grab 2.png