You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Good morning!

I have been an avid user of Affinity's Photo and hardly ever had to ask for help (I thought never but I found a question from 2015).

A client asked me to take pictures before a greenscreen while I was on assignment. They had a very small green cloth and there was a mixture of sun and tungsten light. I did the best I could...

Having no studio lighting I expected some color cast but it is far worse, probably because of the small screen/cloth so the group had to stand close to it ¬¬

Can anyone help me in regards to how to remove the green color cast from the models?

Below I attached a screenshot of what it looks like. If you need more info etc, let me know.

Thank you in advance!

Dennis

Schermafbeelding 2017-07-25 om 09.33.33.png

- computers and airconditioners have one thing in common; they both stop working when opening windows -

Hi Grazie, thank you for your information. Do you have a link? I went through most of the tutorials (I think) before I came here! I don't have AP for iPad so I can't follow that path ;)

Thanks in advance!

Dennis

- computers and airconditioners have one thing in common; they both stop working when opening windows -

I use the Colour Replacement Brush

Make sure Sample Continuously is Off, Choose a similar colour to the area you are going around (like the hair colours) and paint. A smallish, soft brush. Resample the colour as you need to.

Some of the T Shirt edges were a bit dark. I used the Dodge brush set to Midtones to lighten them a bit.

green.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Thank you, toltec! 

That looks how I want to have it! 

I tried the Colour Replacement Brush as well, I think I have yet to get to grasp with it.

Is there a good explanation out there so I can learn how to use it properly?

Kind regards,

Dennis

15 minutes ago, Dennis G said:

Is there a good explanation out there so I can learn how to use it properly?

Dennis

I've not seen one.

We used to do quite a lot of green screen photography where I was working one time, and although some dedicated green screen software did clean up the edges automatically, it was not perfect,

I came up with the colour replacement method after lots of trial and error. Mostly error ;)

lol

I thought about purchasing photokey but it doesn't justify the few times I would need it.

Would you mind explaining what it is that you did, using the colour brush?

It might be summer, but it's raining. This is England ;)

1 Select the tool. Make sure Sample continuously is not ticked !!!

5981e3a4dccc4_colourreplacement.png.d2e7ae9522c7aa3022d675c1e09f0267.png

2 Select the source colour. Alt + Click

This is the colour I got when I "sourced" from the hair of the girl on the left. 

colour.png.a06977471a163446c1d406494c396eab.png

These are the settings I used, Except! I ended up using a 4 pixel brush, not 6.6.

settings.thumb.png.82253a0bcd59b148407151336793a06d.png

Then go over the hair. 

5981e5a48ffd9_nomoregreen.jpg.a5a0fa9756955d0c11cbe1241b10761a.jpg

Note though that you can't just paint. You must keep clicking (reasonably accurately with the centre of the brush on the centre of the green) and painting a bit. The colour replacement brush keeps sampling every time you click. If you try and just paint, it makes a bit of a mess or ignores the new colour.

I suppose you could increase the brush Tolerance a bit, but that can be a bit "over aggressive" the way it replaces colour around the hairs. These are the settings that work for me. 

For the little blond girl you have to select her hair as the source. Alt + Click and go around her.

blonde.png.fce7c1c88d60eea8e4e2bef6a2c00cc9.png

When you are doing the very transparent areas of hair (either girl), set the Colour Replacement Brush Opacity to about 50%.

When you go around the arms, select the arm colour.

arm.png.ca7ecdc8d1cb0278118ec0a6da6ca5e8.png

You can also select white, and clean up the green from around the T Shirt edges. The brush will not turn white into green, but it will turn green into white, or grey.

With practice it only takes a few minutes, and it's a damn site cheaper than Primatte Chromakey (which is what I used to use) and even that wasn't 100% perfect. It was good, but I still had to "tweak" a bit.

It should be a bit easier for you. I did not have a transparent background to work on. Just an image with grey and white squares, which made it a bit harder round the very fine hair, especially of the girl on the left. A bit of dodging afterwards will help there.

I found that with green screen work, it is all too easy to turn the background into a light source by over exposing, or putting the model too close to the background. As you discovered.

I have noticed that the BBC often mess it up with their interviews. Even Boris Johnston turned green around the edges. Or maybe that's normal ? :D

Hope all that helps you. Please post your results.

T. 

Hi Toltec,

Just a quick note from the holiday address: thank you so much for the detailed explanation! Once I get home (in a few weeks) I'll start working on it and will let you know (and post the results).

Doesn't seem very complicated, well it SEEMS ;)

The greenscreen used here was a (way too) small green screen found on site. I tried to keep them as much forward as possible, but as they wanted group shots that was doomed to fail.

I wonder too why camera people don't get it right, all too often. I reckon it must be limited space or time (or both) or perhaps not the best software - which needs to render as fast as possible? It could also be too complicated (for a cameracrew). 

Anyways, thanks a million. Will get back to you in a few weeks time!

• 1 month later...

Hi Toltec,

Last week I finished the work on these. Still took quite some time for me to do it as neatly as I could: about an hour per photo. There was quite a bit of work on the legs and feet too (lots of spill, colourcast). I am satisfied with the outcome, so thank you very much for your help here!

Perhaps you could shine your light on how to get the faintest strays of hair correctly? I now ended up with some vague blurs somehow...

And here's an example of the finished work, as promised

groep_067.psd

Hi

Yes, looks good.

As for the hair, you can get a reasonable improvement by using the Sharpen brush. Set the opacity to about 20%, set the mode to Unsharp mask and paint round. You can also try with the mode on Clarity, it depends on the hair colour.

sharp.png.bcfa83fc9ba2de4fe07c636e6fe4ad47.pngmodes.png.3086521117de15654a78343847079630.png

That will be harder with the blond girl.