You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color Picker with HSB Box

I'm using AD for a while now and one of the major things I still struggle with is a Colour Chooser (both in a popup and Studio panel). It only supports HSL Color Box model (it is called “Hue” in AD).

Most major apps right are using HSB Color box. It is more familiar and easier to use: if I need a pure bright color, I'd just move the dot to the top right corner and that's it. In HSL Box though, I'd have to try to aim the center of color box. It is frustrating. 

Please, add HSB Color Box to Affinity Designer.

I understand, that this might be not the most important feature in your road map, but it will definitely make life easier for those who come to AD from Photoshop, Illustrator or Sketch

(and especially for those who are constantly switching between these apps in the process)

Thanks.

1piQb2K.png

m37WBCM.png

• 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...
1 hour ago, TheCgCy said:

I can barely tolerate the triangle wheel spinning around with the hue, it's distracting.

There's a Square setting in V2 in the Color panel options to take care of that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

38 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

There's a Square setting in V2 in the Color panel options to take care of that.

Yes, but the HSL colour square implementation is weird to use because saturation/colour tones are set at the centre. With a large highly saturated zone, makes picking different tones of value and saturation in a C-shaped/curved manner.

That is why the triangle wheel is preferred due to its values being corner-based. But then again, the triangle wheel rotates, and I have to pause to make sure where the light-dark-saturation corner is located to make a quick adjustment. Not the best for muscle memory, but at least it's much more predictable.

For the box wheel, I appreciate the snapping at the right centre to get full saturation, but with the large saturated zone at the centre, and limited panel scaling, nothing beats quickly dragging and swiping to the corners to get the result fast.

Weird Square & Bad Triangle.movGood Square.movGood Triangle.mov

Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 10.09.42 PM.png

Edited by TheCgCy