You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Choosing the color of the fill and the border

In version 1.5.3.69, icons for selecting fill color and borders were larger and more comfortable to handle. Version 1.6.0.76 is smaller and less handy.
It would be better if the color of the fill was left-clicked and the color of the border was the right mouse button, as in CorelDraw.

• Staff

Hey grafkomjanow@o2.pl,

I believe we have intentionally made them smaller as they were a lot bigger than on the Mac and seeing as we strive for parity between the apps when possible, they won't change it back. 

I'll pass your feedback on regarding the second point, though - thank you. 

P.s. I would consider changing your forum name from your email address to something else as that email address could be picked up for spam. 

I agree making them similar makes sense, but the new swatches are a lot blurred. Just compare them below, version 1.6.0.76 is on the left and 1.5.3.69 on the right. My monitor is a LG ultrawide 29" (2560 x 1080 px, 96 dpi).

Swatches.png

Designing the entire day in the program uses every moment to choose the color of the fill or the border and you need to aim at the tiny color picker icon and still tiny icon without filling. It is very annoying if you work a few hours. So I think the best option is to choose the color of the left mouse button fill and right border color. In Coreldraw I have been working continuously since 1991 since version 3.0. From the beginning it was so organized and it is very practical because you do not have to switch any icon to choose whether you want to color fill or colorize the border.
I bought the Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo program and I am doing a lot of projects in these programs and I really like them. Some designs can be done in Affinity Designer very quickly and efficiently. Although in CorelDraw I have been working for 26 years, I am more and more often designing in Designer, although I still have errors.

Right click to set stroke colour has been suggested / requested several times before.

I whole heartedly support the feature, as it is what I was used to in Xara Designer, and find it so much quicker and simpler than the existing system, especially when this is an action that is carried out time and time again during standard usage.

I'm not aware that the developers have ever commented as to whether they like the idea... or if not, why not?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

This is one of the things where Corel excels and Adobe doesn't. (Another one, of course, is right-clicking for copying objects, among many others.) It would be really great to have it both ways, but I think the dev team won't consider this a priority since they have so many other things to do and Affinity is obviously based on Adobe standards.

• Staff

We appreciate your feedback guys. However, what works for one person does not always work for another and we have to find the right balance. As Aammppaa has said, this has been requested before and development are aware of that. 

Perhaps increasing the size of the Mac icons might work but again, it is down to development to decide what to do. I can only pass on your comments and feedback, which I have done, thanks :)

[In Corel Draw]...it is very practical because you do not have to switch any icon to choose whether you want to color fill or colorize the border...

Affinity is obviously based on Adobe standards.

I despise seeing mimicking of Adobe Illustrator interface elements as any kind of "standard" worthy of emulation. Illustrator's interface is hideously cumbersome throughout, and having to continually toggle an annoying "overlapped fill or stroke" icon is a prime example.

Frankly, I prefer a straightforward separation of fill and stroke selection. As always, see FreeHand's Inspector-based interface, not Illustrator's scattered object attributes.

JET

• 2 months later...

I'm bumping this subject up because now that I'm using version 1.6 I found out that I really miss the larger and more defined fill/stroke color selector from version 1.5. I have two points:

1. How hard would it be to increase the size of the MacOS selector instead of reducing it in the Windows version?
  2. I never understood why clicking the center area of the stroke selector does nothing. It should bring the stroke color to the front.

So these two points combined make for a really small selector. Reducing the area of the target area it is not conformant to Fitt's law so it impacts productivity in a negative way. Do you agree?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.