Jim Monson

Reset AD Desktop without asking

Since my docs are object intensive (200-350 mgs), I save with the day's date and consecutive letters on each new save for that day (a, b, c, etc.). Using "Save As" reduces the files size. 

I keep the former docs in the same folder since they sometimes appear to refer back to a previous save. I also quit AD (with the present saved doc still open) to clear its undos (I use 1024 undos) since I reach the limit rather quickly in my editing. This way when I open AD again it usually brings up my doc and desktop just the way I left it

However, there are times when opening AD after quitting that AD asks if I want to "Clear" data (that I never want to do). Thus I choose "Cancel" rather than "Clear." I am not sure why this happens but it must be something to do with the previous quitting, although I am careful to follow the same procedure each time. 

The biggest problem (bug?), however, is that sometimes (although seldom) when opening AD again the program appears to totally forget what to do and comes up as if it is opening AD for the first time (screen asking if I want to close or create a new doc. In this case, there is nothing else to do except start again, choose "Separated Mode" for my panels and then start again to bring up all of my panels the way I had just left them (via Studio). This is a real time-waster and I wonder if somehow AD skips a "cog" and does not know that I have just quit AD and am expecting it to bring up the doc I was just working on when I saved and quit the program. 

Since this occurs only every week or so there is no way I can repeat it. However, be assured that I am quite careful to follow the same procedure each time.

It is a joy to work with AD with my large and complex files (maps with a  huge amount of well-organized data/objects). Thanks for all you do to keep improving it. I can live with the above but thought that at last I should mention this. Jim

Hi Jim,

It sounds as though you are seeing the 'reset program' dialog that appears if you hold down the Ctrl button whilst launching the application. Does it look like the screenshot below? If so then just ensure you don't have Ctrl held down when launching the application.

This dialog is designed to allow you to reset the software and any presets you may have saved should you encounter any difficulties that stop the software from launching. If everything has been reset such as no longer in Separated mode etc it sounds like you may have accidently hit 'Clear' on that dialog instead of Cancel.

Screenshot 2017-07-24 11.45.42.png

Thanks, Sean, I never hold down Ctrl unless I want to bring up the Clear User Data, which actually is never. This is what mystifies me, it comes up so randomly. I used to think it was because I moved my previous work on the doc to my backup folder. As you know, an AD file gets bigger as one works on it to keep necessary info in case of a crash. Thus before quitting for the day I Save As with a new name (in my case, a letter  change at the end of the file name). This brings the doc down in size. I always leave some of my previous day's work in my current folder so that AD can relate to former files if it needs to. Thus AD should have what it needs to open the file the next day.

BTW, I have unchecked the top three options (seen in your screenshot above), but they always returned checked. If I choose Cancel I can understand why they would not change, but even when I tried Clear to test this, they still came up checked when the Clear User Data box randomly appeared while opening. Since I shut down my Mac with my current work still open, this file automatically comes up the next time I open AD, with all the panels as I had left them and even with the exact same position of my previous work in AD. This is a great feature.

This random appearance of the Clear User Data (tho' I don't hold down Ctrl) is not a huge issue but I thought I'd report it. It is very difficult to reproduce since it is random, but I will try to isolate the problem.

PS: I just saved my AD work, quit AD and then opened AD again, without touching the keyboard (including Ctrl). Up came  the Clear User Data that I had to cancel to continue. I have always used a QuickKeys shortcut to do this, but perhaps this shortcut is now introducing something new. I'll work on this and report back.

Hi Jim,

Those checkboxes are not remembered as this dialog should very rarely, if ever, be used. However you mention using a QuickKeys shortcut? Does this mean you are not launching the app from the Applications folder or the Dock? I presume this is a piece of 3rd party software? It sounds to me as though it is interferring with Designer and causing the dialog to appear. I would suggest launching it through conventional methods as that will not cause it to appear.

Thanks again, Sean. Since I wrote I have opened AD from the dock and have not yet experienced the problem. QuicKeys (from Alsoft) is a great program for Mac that I've used for decades. It allows personalized shortcuts from the Finder. I open all my applications via these shortcuts and much more, and AD always came up fine until the past few months, and still works for everything. However, I agree that taking it out of the loop guarantees what I desire. BTW, AD's internal shortcuts are so helpful. I wish that there were even more.