donka

Import from photos does not pull current version.

Just noticed that if say you have an original image in photos and edit it first such as a crop and then import this into AP, it imports the original image and not the cropped version. Other apps such as Snapseed and Pixelmator do not behave this way and import the current version (i.e. cropped).

I believe this is a bug as I would expect the app to import exactly what I can see in the Photos app. 

I just cropped an image with Snapseed and saved it. When I opened it in AP it opened the full image. If I export it as a copy and open it in AP it opens as the cropped version. I don't see this as an AP bug. Snapseed must add some info to the file that AP is not aware of.

If you crop in Photos then try opening the same image AP and Snapseed, AP will open the original uncropped image but Snapseed and other apps open the cropped image. I believe this latter behaviour is correct since the image appears cropped in Photos and this is the image you want to work on. 

AP is importing the original version and not the current version from Photos. 

The behavior described here is not always incorrect. 

In Photos, when you save the file back the editing app can attach the metadata to non-destructively resume editing. This is what Snapseed does in this case.

When you open the file in different app, there are two basic options:

1. Get the latest edited JPG (so cropped image here)

2. Get the original (RAW if possible) + the metadata, which can be used or discarded.

It seems that Affinity Photo always uses option (2). I believe that the user should be one to decide - since sometimes you want to edit original (RAW!), sometimes just add a final touch.

Photoshop Express behaves exactly that way, asking user which version he wants.

Cheers,

Maciej