You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have been having a problem with copying a photo from AD and pasting into an email. The image has a greenish look. Previously I have been doing this for a long time without any colour cast problem. Has AD been updated in the last 2 months or thereabouts?

A secondary problem that was discovered when trying to fix this email problem was that if the AD image was pasted into Photoshop then Photoshop crashes. This happens every time. I have to 'Force quit' Photoshop.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Regarding the last message ignore the part about making Photoshop crash. This was wrong.

However I sill have the green colour cast when copying a photo from AD into an email.

Is this an Affinity problem?

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

It is really hard to comment on this without knowing what email app you are using, if you are using Mac or Windows, what version of AD you are using, etc.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I am using a Mac and AD 1.5.5

This is my normal procedure for embedding a photo in an email.

1 I open the photo in Photoshop to edit as required.

2 I then Select the photo and copy.

3 In AD I create an A4 page and paste the photo and re-size as required to fit the email.

4 I copy the AD image and paste into the ermail. This is when the image takes on a greenish look.

This has only been happening in the last 2 or 3 months.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

First, I would not rely on copy & paste for any of this -- there are several different ways the clipboard can be used by different apps depending on their capabilities & settings, which can lead to unexpected results. Instead, I suggest exporting the photo to a file, paying attention to any export options that affect color (like ICC profile, color space, & file type).

Second, I do not understand why you are pasting the photo into an A4 page & resizing it. Email image file attachments do not need to be resized to 'fit' into the email. As you may know if you use Apple's Mail.app, file attachments can be viewed "in place" or as icons & the message window can be resized, which adjusts 'in place' images as needed to fit. Other email client apps may have similar or different options, but the point is an email message has no fixed size, & you have no control over what email client app the recipient uses or how they have configured it. Unless there is some compelling reason to send someone an A4 sized image file, skip step 3 & just open the photo file directly after saving it in Photoshop.

If you are using Apple's Mail.app, you can use the File menu > Share > Mail shortcut to attach the photo to a new email as a jpeg file. If you want to attach it using some other file format, or have more control over file format settings like compression or color profile, export to that format & attach it to the email in the normal way.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

My problem is a case of "if its not broken then don't fix it.

I have been doing it 'my way' for a long time, Its quick and user friendly with the minimum number of steps. It may not be the 'correct' way but it has always worked.

I only use Photoshop if I need to edit a photo otherwise I just use the 'Place image tool', select the file and open it on an A4 page so that I can resize it easily. If the image is a bit too large to fit the email at the size I want it to appear, I just resize it in AD, copy and paste again.

The problem is why do they now have a greenish appearance?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

47 minutes ago, jackamus said:

If the image is a bit too large to fit the email at the size I want it to appear, I just resize it in AD, copy and paste again.

That does not make any sense. All email client apps except those relying on proprietary email systems conform to the MIME (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) protocol. As I said, this means you have no control over how the image attachment will appear to the recipient of the email. For example, it may not appear as an image at all, just as a file icon, or as an image resized on the fly to fit the message window's dimensions. There is also no way to know if the client app will use any ICC color profile info embedded in the image file, substitute a system or app level default of its own, or apply no color management at all.

As for "if its not broken then don't fix it," something apparently is broken (or miss-set) on your system. There could be several reasons for this, including how you have set AD General preferences "Copy items as SVG," some setting in your email app (which you still have not identified), a setting or system level incompatibility if you are using any third party add ons that affect the clipboard, or a combination of how they interact with each other.

This can be difficult to troubleshoot but if you are going to try that I suggest starting by reviewing anything you have updated since noticing the change in the paste behavior, making sure any settings or preferences they include are still where you want them to be, & that they are 100% compatible with each other & your OS version.

Affinity Photo 

I have just copied an image from Photoshop and pasted it into an email and this too has degraded the colour so I'm inclined to think it must be something to do with my emails.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

40 minutes ago, jackamus said:

I have just copied an image from Photoshop and pasted it into an email and this too has degraded the colour so I'm inclined to think it must be something to do with my emails.

Yes, it probably does, but without knowing what email client app you use, there is no way to offer any advice about what it might be.

Affinity Photo 

Sorry I meant to say I use Thunderbird. We have Googled to see if there were any answers to the problem but as yet found none.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

OK I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I do not use Thunderbird but I did search online for info regarding its color management & attachment features. Unfortunately, there is very little info specifically about its color management, other than it uses the same "Gecko" engine as Firefox & there is (somewhere) an option to set something called the 'gfx' mode to ignore or use color profiles for attachments. Maybe someone more familiar with the app can help you with that?

However, I did find this Composing and Formatting Messages Thunderbird manual article. I suggest reading at least the Images and attachments section, which unfortunately does not mention anything about copying & pasting support one way or another, but it does discuss the suggested way to add an image file to a Rich Text (HTML) email. Note that in step 4 it mentions adding alternative text to your picture because (as it says) the recipient's email client app may not display the image at all, so the added alternative text insures that the recipient sees some information about it.

This is yet another confirmation that you have no control over how the image will appear to anyone other than yourself in the email message, so I suggest that you do not waste any time on that & at least try the manual's method of attaching the image to see if it makes any difference. This will require exporting the image to a file in a suitable format (typically jpeg, gif, or pdf; or maybe svg for files containing vectors), which will give you the opportunity to set the export parameters (particularly the color profile!) to whatever is most appropriate for your & the email recipient's needs. You can delete the exported file after sending the email if you are concerned about the file space it uses on your Mac.

Once again, I want to emphasize this is the only way you can be sure recipients get file attachments as close as possible to how you want them to appear to them. Neither you nor they can rely on how they appear in an email message for that. Email systems that rely on the worldwide MIME standard protocol for attachments are by design not able to or intended to do that. This applies to Apple's Mail app, Thunderbird, & just about every other email client app in existence besides those using proprietary protocols like Lotus Notes or Microsoft's Outlook when communicating with Microsoft Exchange Server.

Affinity Photo 

OK and thanks for this and I will look into it, however the only reason I fielded this issue was because it had only started to happen in about April this year. Prior to that I had been doing it 'my way' for over two years. Something has changed.

I still have saved emails where the colour is good and I can forward the email today and the colour remains intact - I tried as an experiment.

Its only when I past an image today that there is a deterioration.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

1 hour ago, jackamus said:

I still have saved emails where the colour is good and I can forward the email today and the colour remains intact - I tried as an experiment.

OK, but for the reasons I mentioned, you may want to keep in mind that just because the color looks the same to you does not necessarily mean it will look the same to anyone you send it to as an email attachment -- neither prior to the local change you noticed nor afterwards. It is basically the same as with web pages: anything using HTML is in reality data plus a set of instructions (markups) that indicate how the data was intended to be assembled, but client apps like browsers or email apps may ignore some or all of those instructions & render some of the data differently or not at all.

Regardless, trying the file/export/attach process mentioned in the Thunderbird manual (or the equivalent in Apple Mail) may help you isolate where the problem is on your system.

Affinity Photo 

On 24/07/2017 at 1:05 AM, jackamus said:

This is my normal procedure for embedding a photo in an email.

1 I open the photo in Photoshop to edit as required.

2 I then Select the photo and copy.

3 In AD I create an A4 page and paste the photo and re-size as required to fit the email.

4 I copy the AD image and paste into the ermail. This is when the image takes on a greenish look.

As far as colour cast goes, are you flattening the image before copying? I realize this is an Affinity forum but why use AD when PS is perfectly capable of image and canvas size of any nature. As a rule I send everyday pics out at 1500 kpx wide or tall, seems to do the trick as folks at the other end can use their print dialogue so 'fill page' or fit to page or print as is, as they wish. If you want to control how recipients print the A4 at their end then set the canvas size to A4 dimension in PS and resize the image there, annotations and all. I always use tiff format these days for editing, save a flattened copy as jpg in Thunderbird. Both AP & PS are suited for the task. It is fun using AD though, I admit : )