You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo on Windows very slow

Hi

Still fairly new to AP however consider it a fantastic altenative to PS!

I do however find AP runs very slow sometimes and quite often see (not responding) in the title bar.

This will happen after using a brush, say, or applying an adjustment layer.

My PC is an i5 with 16GB RAM.

Any thoughts please?

Cheers!

Hi DaveA66

The speed does depend a lot on what is running in the background at any one time Dave, each PC runs different Apps, the not responding happens when your Windows puts the program on hold whilst it gives the resources to other Apps running in the background, this usually goes away when Windows allocates the resources back to the Affinity App.

If you are ok doing so you may want to consider closing some of the background apps that you may not use.

Could you provide more information of the spec of your PC please.

Hi Thanks for the reply

I can certainly try shutting down some other programs.

There may be other users logged onto the PC also, which I guess may not help?

I was also thinking - would a SSD drive help? I guess once the image is loaded it's using memory only for the edits though?

Also would abetter graphics card help? I don't know what I have at present, it's just the on-board one!

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

I do not think an SSD drive is the answer Dave as you have said once loaded it is in memory, a new graphics card may help a little but try closing some of the background progs first as it will release some of the system resources.

I have had similar slowing problems, even with a new i7 w/ 8gb ram and ssd drive.  Running stuff in the background is bad, but AP seems to accumulate huge temporary files or if you have been filling up the trash can with deleted pics it really bogs down.  I run CCleaner every time before starting AP.  It makes a big difference and only takes a minute.

Doing HDR stacks I clean it every 2 or 3 that I process.

Art