You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is it possible to create custom fills like cross-hatching etc?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

The only way I can think of right now is to use bitmap fills.  The Devs might be able to help more with that-- but basically what you do is you make a pattern and export it to PNG.  (Or, you know, just search for copyright free patterns online, but stupid Shutterstock keeps popping up anyway even when I define my searches in advance mode on Google so I try not to do that too much.)  Then, using the Gradient tool, select Bitmap from the fill option and find your file.  The size of the bitmap can then be adjusted by the handles that appear with the fill. 

I've used this method a couple of times to make an interesting background pattern for some objects, then copied said object and used a gradient level on the copy to give it more depth, but you have to be sure the shape is exactly the way you want it because I don't think you can adjust nodes on separate layers to do the same thing. 

I know what you're wanting though, and it would be cool . . . especially if it was completely vector-based. 

Thanks and that is what I thought might be the case. These kind of fills would be ideal for engineering drawings but if in the meantime a bitmap has to be used then some thought would have to be given to scaling the fills so that the hatching would all be the same. By that I mean it would be no good drawing a shape, adding some hatching then re-scaling the shape.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Jackamus, you seem to be running into a problem I am having.  I have made all my drawings to be vector only and surface texture is a problem.  In a current drawing I needed a pebble like surface so I made a grid of small circles.  Then gave the circles a 3D fx.  After several hundred AD took several seconds to update the screen.  I switched to doing a Gradient Overlay fx with a Inner Glow fx.  Now I have probably over a thousand such layers and I'm back to several seconds to update the screen.  A vector pattern would sure have helped.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Could you not have copied and grouped the circles many times to save layers?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I do have them grouped to about 10 layers per group then 10 groups per parent group, etc. etc.  But I still have the thousand layers just spread around in different groups.  The fx is what is killing the response.  If I put the gradient fx on a group it then graduates across the entire group instead of each circle.  I tried using a compound layer and again the gradient is across the entire layer instead of each circle.

Is it possible for either a brush or fill to be created that could give a stipple effect like the attached example from one of my old pen drawings? To be effective it would need to be pressure sensitive to increase or decrease density.

post-608-0-33729200-1423059780_thumb.jpg

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Would making them into bitmaps help?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Bitmaps would help but then I'd not be in vectors only, right?  So you were able to make a vector brush that did the stipple?  That wouldn't work in this one (I need a pebble, not a dot) but could be handy in other drawings.

Yes I did realise that it would take you out of vector drawing but not knowing what you are trying to achieve I'm shooting in the dark.

The stipple effect wasn't done on a computer it was done by hand on a drawing board with a pen - 40 years ago before electronic calculators! This would be a brilliant tool to have in Affinity and would be of great benefit to technical illustrators.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• 1 year later...

Jackamus, I came across this old post while searching for "stipple" effect.

I bit late in the day, I realize that, but just maybe you still have use for it.

I found a stipplebrush on the forum, it works and it was made by forummember "smallreflection".

Search the forum for "stipple" and you'll find it. It's a ZIPfile.