You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Remove background for a product photo

I purchased Affinity Photo for my IPad. I take pictures of my wife's product for her website. I am trying to figure out how to remove the background to make it white. The hard part is some of my wife's products have feathers and they sometimes are not a definite edge. 

I start out with everything on a white backdrop and I use daylight bulbs. But I still get the little gray tone sometimes.

I see a lot of information for the computer version but can't seem to find any advice for the IPad. 

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Staff

Hi Borgs,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Have you checked this video tutorial (for desktop apps) in particular? All commands are also applicable to the iPad version. You may have to spend more time refining the selection (try the Matte adjustment from the context toolbar on bottom on feathered edges) when using the Refine Selection Tool (in Selections Persona) but the process is similar. Here's a video tutorial for Selection Refinement (on iPad) that may also help.

Thank you for the help. I will check out those tutorials.

You stated that all the commands are applicable to the IPad version. So you are saying I can look at all the tutorials for the desktop version and do the same functions on the iPad ?

I apologize ahead of time if I sound like I don't know what I am talking about. This is my first photo editing program, so I have a bit of a learning curve. I am happy to look at any tutorials available. I have looked at the tutorials from Affinity Photo. Let me know it there are any other good tutorials for newbies to photo editing. 

Thanks much!!!

• Staff
8 minutes ago, Borgs said:

You stated that all the commands are applicable to the IPad version. So you are saying I can look at all the tutorials for the desktop version and do the same functions on the iPad ?

Hi Borgs,
Yes, all commands on that video tutorial are applicable to the iPad version. As a general rule this also applies to most of the commands/tools although there's a few which are missing or have some limitations on the iPad (note this is just the first iPad release) but you should be able to perform most operations on both versions. The biggest issue here is the interface which is obviously different. I advise you to take a look at the iPad tutorials first (we are always adding new ones) and then check the others for desktop. If you have trouble finding a certain tool or command just ask here. There's plenty of users and staff willing to help :)