You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have just acquired an IPad Pro and have hoped to use this as my primary editing device.  As most of what I do is along the lines of "Street" there is little that Affinity Photo cannot achieve on the IPad app.  That said, I shoot in RAW and would like to store my photos on either my WD NAS system or preferably on my WD My Passport Pro.  A typical workflow would be to Download to the MPP using the auto download slot then import the raw file to affinit.  On export I would like to export directly to my MPP so that all of my work is available from there.  Clearly I would retain the originals on the SDD Card and I have a backup system to my NAS system which I usually access when I am at home

As far as I can tell Affinity will not allow me to add the MyCloud app to locations which is central to this issue... Am I missing something here?

Hey S2S, I have the identical setup, and also shoot street. You’re not missing anything. Affinity will not tether to the my MyCloud app to import, but it can export files. This is what I had to do do:

- Insert SD into autodown load slot on MPP

- Transfer files from MPP to iCloud (using my MBP)

- Import into Affinity (via iCloud)

- Export completed file to MPP (by Export>*Share>Copy to MyCloud

*Share is in the bottom left hand corner.

...I’m still figuring out workflow, but as of yet it’s not exactly smooth. What I don’t get is when saving to iPhoto you need to save the file as photo-sharing. Something I don’t need to do.

• 4 months later...

Hey F1gur47v31y_5p34k1ng, belated thanks for your response.  I have tried it out, and yes it works but it’s clunky..... not to mention the unnecessary data use on the way through iCloud.  Because of this I’m still using LR as I can do all this seamlessly.  Downside is the ongoing cost of a subscription.  Am hoping that Affinity will work out that they need cater to every platform.....can’t be that difficult

I think the issue may lay with the MyCloud app. It does not take advantage of iOS 11 split screen functionality. This means no drag and drop from other apps. Perhaps WD will get around to updating their app to take better advantage of iOS 11, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting ;)

Importing from MPP to AP

Importing and Exporting using the My Wireless Pro My Coud app.

Importing from MPP

Connect iPad to MPP wirelessly. Open MyCloud app. Navigate in MyCloud  to desired photo and then tap the square with the upward arrow icon  (top right corner), then select 'Open in AP'.

Exporting from AP to MPP.

On home screen in AP tap the 3 bars at bottom right corner of pic. Choose Export and desired export format, then tap Share icon in Bottom left corner and select Copy to MPP.  No data used. :)

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 2 weeks later...

@Street2Stream @DM1

I've given up with the MyCloud app, and the WD HD. I just bought a new 15" MBP w/ a terabyte drive (as much as I was trying to avoid it). I'm planning on purchasing Affinity for my MBP, and will use the iPad Pro for separate editing.

The iPad and the application eco-system isn't quite there yet.

At least Adobe and their unlike-cloud applications (ASP) are out of my life.