spedwig

Designer hangs and freezes on "union"

On 1/17/2019 at 3:52 AM, j.king said:

Yes please!!! A Cancel button or active ESC key really is a must. Having to force shut down my entire machine when it happens is ridiculous, not at all good for the mood. Even if I could just force quit AD it would be better.

Can't you just kill the task with the task manager ? ctrl + shift + esc in case your desktop is completely  stuck graphically at that point (and for speed's sake).

Is just killing the Designer process, and it should go away.

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.
Affinity PHOTO 1.7.x --> AMAZING. Getting there for painting. Temporary trick  (Windows - only) for better "alt" key color picking configured in a Wacom Intuos Pro pen's side button.

Nope. Once AD locks up, the entire machine locks up (perpetual pinwheel of doom). On a mac, force quit app (command+option+esc) is the normal means of escape. For some reason, it will not work when AD gets stuck. Only option, at least on my machine, is holding down the power button to force reboot.

Woah. I really need to put memory to a super aggressive extreme to bring the machine to that... Meaning, never ever happens. (as even doing so, I trigger some RAM cleaner, and while that does only serve to give the minimal bit of reaction, serves to give it the needed oxygen to kill whatever the bugger. )

If it does not happen with any other app, it'd be sth definitely to look up in AD.

(now, if happens even with just one other application, then that could be different. )

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.
Affinity PHOTO 1.7.x --> AMAZING. Getting there for painting. Temporary trick  (Windows - only) for better "alt" key color picking configured in a Wacom Intuos Pro pen's side button.

I can't say it has never ever happened with any other app as long as I've had this machine. All machines freeze sometimes and need a reboot. But at the moment, yes, this only happens with AD. And it's not all the time. It is an inconsistent and unpredictable issue. You never know when it's gonna bite ya.