spedwig

Designer hangs and freezes on "union"

Working today, as I select a relatively large group of "curve" objects and try to use the geometry "add" function, every time, the "union" progress bar appears... and stays and never finishes.

I've had to force quit the program multiple times now. I need these curves to be one object so I can apply a gradient across the whole group. 

This same operation was working fine last week in a different file.

[edit]

Using 1.5.5 on Mac Sierra.

I've tried different geometry operations on this same group; all cause the same freezing.

I've tried "add" on smaller groups; works fine at 20... but larger groups freeze.

This is extremely frustrating and disheartening. I recently cut the Adobe tether completely, so unless this bug gets fixed I have no way of doing this work.

Any and all help is extremely appreciated.

[edit]

Create Compound takes a long time with the spinning beach ball, but it at least functions.

[edit]

Spoke too soon. Now freezing with beach ball and entire application [not responding]

It seems that AD just can't any longer deal with this massive amount of information. Moving, copying, pasting... everything is now lagg-y and elicits the beach ball of death.

See attached screenshot of the selection that's causing all this trouble.

Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 1.34.27 PM.png

Great.

In the meantime, this operation that should take less than 5 minutes is dragging on for hours, as I have to take a 10+ minute break every time I try to create a compound... waiting for it to eventually resolve (when it resolves at all).

Same issue here. Been going on for a while. More than a couple weeks. Attempting a union freezes it. It doesn't need to be anything complex.

----------------------------------------
i am everything. i am nothing
therefore, i can be anything

On 7/24/2017 at 2:38 PM, owenr said:

Hi spedwig, maybe I'm misunderstanding the result you need, but you can simply group (Cmd-G) objects, instead of adding them, then apply a gradient across the group. Alternatively, put the objects inside a layer and apply a gradient across the layer.

grad.png

Hmmm.

It does seem to work that way when using the gradient tool on a group. Since I've been working with a few specified gradients, I had tried to paste the style (shift-cmd-v) on a group, which doesn't work... but does work for individual objects.

Thanks for the tip; this will help with this specific application... it'll still take longer than it should (having to use the gradient tool and set my stops over and over again) because groups can't be style-pasted (and the union is broken).

Hi Boldlinedesign,

We are aware of a few issues with boolean operations but i'm a little surprised it's having trouble resolving your example. Have you expanded the strokes to shapes before combining them?

Any chance you can upload the .afdesign file using this link so i can take a look please? Thanks.

Is this still an issue with Designer? I went to expand the strokes and then hit "divide shapes" and it still freezes... I included a screen shot.
I know divide shapes works just fine on the ipad version... but I assume we're still waiting for a fix on the desktop?

Loving Affinity - just not this bug :)

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 7.48.57 PM.png

I've had this issue since probably week one using AD. I'm on 1.6.1 now and it still does it. I use combine a lot and ya never know when it's going to hang. I tried to combine a word with some minor distressing marks in it (chips & scratches). The small voids in each letter varied in quantity from 6 to 15... not a lot of pieces. The entire word would not combine so I tried a letter at a time. I get about halfway done and it hangs trying to combine one letter with a few voids in it. No rhyme or reason. This creates the need to force quit each time. There have been times it froze my entire system and I had to force shutdown machine with power button. It is maddening and I hope a fix will be found. There are ways around the issue, but not when you are creating a one-color shirt design where you need the shirt color(s) to show through all of the voids.

I'm having this problem as well. I thought it was due to adding a lot of individual curves at once, but it also happens with just two curves. Based on this thread, the problem has been known for over a year. I don't consider this an 'extra' feature... even the early vector illustration apps I used on my old iPad were capable of handling boolean operations, so I'm really disappointed that this hasn't been addressed in what has been billed as AI replacement software. At very least, we need to know what is causing it so we can try to avoid it. 

Right on, Carter! This issue drives me mad! Hopefully AD will address and resolve. I opened a graphic recently I had auto-traced in another software (since AD cannot do that). It was a combined graphic when I opened it. I broke it apart to delete some unwanted elements, then couldn't combine it again. Ended up having to re-open the graphic, leave it combined and remove elements by deleting nodes. Much more time-consuming and annoying.

I've also been running into big issues with boolean operations as well. Trying to add minor nicks/scratches to a logo just sits there doing nothing for seeming ever.

Last week, while turning a script font into curves and then trying to merge those shapes caused the letters to get totally messed up as seen in attached screenshot. Top is the curves, the bottom is what happened after the Add operation.

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 1.40.53 PM.png

14 hours ago, iamkether said:

I've also been running into big issues with boolean operations as well. Trying to add minor nicks/scratches to a logo just sits there doing nothing for seeming ever.

Last week, while turning a script font into curves and then trying to merge those shapes caused the letters to get totally messed up as seen in attached screenshot. Top is the curves, the bottom is what happened after the Add operation.

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 1.40.53 PM.png

When you look at this with a selection tool, do you see the shape of the holes but they are still filled in black?
If so, that might be a problem with the fill mode. Try going to LAYER > FILL MODE  and switch from Alternate to Winding. 

On 11/27/2018 at 4:27 AM, TonyO said:

When you look at this with a selection tool, do you see the shape of the holes but they are still filled in black?
If so, that might be a problem with the fill mode. Try going to LAYER > FILL MODE  and switch from Alternate to Winding. 

Hey Tony, thanks a lot! This fixed the problem with the add operation on that logo. I still can't get a complex boolean to finish in any reasonable time at all though, but I don't think that's anything you'll have control over :)

I am experiencing this issue also. Twice today alone the app stopped responding for very long time when I tried doing a "Union" or "Add". The first time, I waited for quite a while and then the system said my memory was all used and that I had no disk space left! I ended having to shut the computer down with the power button. When I restarted, I looked and I still have 50GB free. 

Hope this gets fixed also.

I am also experience this problem, the appilcation went hangs and freezes after i click the union button, the union bars loading still up and does not take any effects at all.

then i have to opened my task manager and forced to end task. (The latest version Affinity Designer)

Hope u guys can fix this asap. Thank you ^_^

Well, at least I can see it is not just me.

Mac OS 10.11 (El Capitan)
Affinity Designer 1.6.1

Repeating a request from someone else. A cancel button would be nice, or even better, how about an override capability using the ESC key like the Adobe Products did (or at least used to do). I loved that aspect of the ESC Key being a total "Override everything that is going on" and stop processing whatever your doing" option. In the past, it was a great time saver because it stopped me from having to force quit. Something that really sucked when I forgot to save before the sticky situations ever arose. 

Hhhmmm.... I wonder....
Be back with more in a bit. I am going to try something that might help with the fixing of this bug. At least hopefully my idea will help. In the meantime I will cross my fingers that it gets fixed before I return.

So, I am back. It didn't do it this time and I used all the same steps BUT, I did track something I found odd. WHEN I created my first object it was just 8 items. THEN I used the Divide option to break it down so as to make it possible to remove stuff from the soon to be final product. Well, that 8 item turned into 141 objects. So, I wonder if it is an OBJECT number issue?

Images attached. Note the bottom left where it shows object count grabbed. I wonder if that is where the bug comes in. An Object Count Breaking point, but not always. Just often enough to cause the issues we see here.

Step1.jpg

Step2-AfterIHitDivide.jpg

Yes please!!! A Cancel button or active ESC key really is a must. Having to force shut down my entire machine when it happens is ridiculous, not at all good for the mood. Even if I could just force quit AD it would be better.