jeffcarlson

Re-entering Develop Persona Resets Values

I opened a raw file, applied adjustments in the Develop persona, and clicked the Develop button.

Next I applied some adjustments in the Photo persona.

If I want to go back into the Develop persona and make a change to the raw settings (such as changing Lens Correction), everything is set back to 0%—it's not retaining the last Develop state. This must be a bug, because there's a tutorial video on the site that shows this working.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently all changes/edits made to a RAW image in Develop Persona are baked to the image when you switch to Photo Persona for further adjustments. There's no way to re-edit the original Develop settings. The tutorial you saw must be showing/doing something else - any chance you can re-post the link to it?

Hi MEB,

Thanks. I just rewatched the tutorial again (below), and realized that when he goes back into Develop (see 1:19), the values are back at zero. I thought they had retained their previous values.

So if I bake raw settings into the file when I first develop it, but then want to go change those settings, do I have to scrap it entirely and start over? Or, by returning to the Develop persona, am I making destructive edits?

Thanks much for your assistance.

Hi Jeff,

After changing the settings (sliders) in Develop Persona and switch to Photo Persona these changes are baked to the image, that is they are applied destructively/permanently to the image. If you go back to Develop Persona again the image is moved back to Develop Persona with the older settings/edits applied as if they were part of the original image. So for example if you increased the Exposure the first time you opened the RAW image in Develop Persona, developed it/moved to Photo Persona and then back to Develop Persona and increased the Exposure again you are actually increasing the Exposure two times.

Affinity Photo is NOT a DAM software. We don't save the edits you perform to the RAW file in Develop Persona as XMP sidecar files for later editing or save them to a database. The overall idea is to open the RAW to develop/adjust it globally then move to Photo Persona for further localized adjustments. You can save this project file as an afphoto file keeping the edits you've made in Photo Persona intact (layers, masks, layer FX, adjustments, filters etc) or export it to the desired final format for use on the web or print etc. similar to what you would do in Adobe Camera RAW + Photoshop.

That does present a problem though doesn't it? If I adjust sharpening in Develop, then go to Photo, make some adjustments and decide that the sharpening is a little too harsh I can't reduce it can I? I have to start all over again. I assume my original RAW file remains as shot or is that baked too?

Hi Septimus,

The RAW file remains untouched. After developing/converting the RAW and move to Photo Persona you will have to save the document, usually in our native format .afphoto to keep all layers/features editable/intact but you can also export to most known/used formats through menu File ▸ Export. There's plans to include a non-destructive workflow (layer) to keep develop settings intact but it may still take a while until it's implemented.

On 14/12/2017 at 5:39 PM, MEB said:

Hi Septimus,

The RAW file remains untouched. After developing/converting the RAW and move to Photo Persona you will have to save the document, usually in our native format .afphoto to keep all layers/features editable/intact but you can also export to most known/used formats through menu File ▸ Export. There's plans to include a non-destructive workflow (layer) to keep develop settings intact but it may still take a while until it's implemented.

Yes I realise I can go back to the origial file and start again but it would be laborious to do so. therefore it seems best to ignore the possible adjustments in Develop and go straight to photo where i have the option to adjust