You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Frequency Separation vs Clone/Healing?

Hi,

I just watched the iPad tutorial retouch of lens flare. I'm curious what the benefit of separating high/low frequency and retouching/inpainting in 2 steps each frequency separately vs just using the 1-step clone, healing, or blemish tools? 

Also, could you direct me to a good tutorial on what the patch tool is used for?

thx

• Staff

The simple answer is that the Frequency Separation just give you more control over what you are removing.  I know when i've used the 1 step methods before, you can normally see a slight difference on the area you've worked on and would then have to spend some time blending the area.

MEB has put a good explaination on how to use the Patch tool here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/36575-how-to-use-patch-tool-in-affinity-photo/#comment-180413

And there is also a short video, showing it in action.  The video has no sound.

http://www.miguelboto.com/temp/patch_tool.mp4

Big thanks to MEB for the video and explanation 

@stokerg thanks! I remember doing the tutorial on the desktop side and having the same question. I can sort of see the advantage in the example used for the desktop Photo, where you're retouching rough skin... almost, but wasn't sure what the benefit would be vs 1-step methods, when using it on lens flares. 

I do see that it's a bit less ham-fisted for retouching for lots of situations I suppose.

Thanks for the link on the Patch tool. Looks like it's basically cloning into a selection. Or, maybe it's slightly different. I'm guessing that with cloning into a selection, you're cloning an exact selection into a selected region. But with the Patch tool, you don't have to match up the exact region... and it will sort of fill the area selected for you based on the source reference.

thx