You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Import multiple photos at once

On a similar note, selecting multiple images when doing special processing, like focus stacking. Right now you have to tap the cloud icon, navigate to the right folder, and select ONE SINGLE IMAGE file. Then, you have to repeat the process again for every image (including navigating to the folder). 

On a 5 image stack, this is annoying. But for 20+ images this is a real impediment, especially if it’s buried deep in a bunch of folders. 

1 hour ago, Madame said:

I'm not sure this is what you want, but if you drag and drop from finder, you can open multiple pictures at once.
They open in separate tabs, though.

This thread is about Affinity Photo for iPad. iOS doesn’t have a Finder. 

13 hours ago, paige4o4 said:

iOS doesn’t have a Finder. 

Not yet, perhaps, but Finder is apparently one of the new features in iOS 11. smile.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

Maybe, but, you can't access the photolibrary into the new app Files...

You may only access iCloud Drive...

That's a good point. :( Let's hope they fix that soon!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/07/2017 at 6:28 PM, adsimpson said:

It would be very helpful to be able to import multiple photos at once. When I have projects with multiple photos, I create a new project in Affinity Photo, which is helpful, but I still have to import the photos one by one. This really slows down my workflow.

Snap. I would really like to be able to import multiple photos at once into a project folder. 

Also multiple export and multiple delete. (Generally a more streamlined file management flow)

Also also, I would particularly find 'open in affinity' via the share sheet useful. It appears sometimes for some apps, but not all, and not in the photos app. (Lightroom let's you send one at a time...)

But yes, my primary frustration is that importing photos from a day out takes so long because it has to be done manually. 

I really appreciate the batch possibilities in photoshop and would love to see them come to the iPad. 

• 3 weeks later...

I find this very annoying.  It would be great if I could just tap and drag, or tap option tap, or something to select multiple images.  when I'm doing HDR it is very frustrating to have to get one image then go back into photos and get the next image... etc.  If I have a lot of images I have to scroll down to the correct place (which can be difficult if the brackets are similar looking or buried deep in the view).  Please improve this, Serif.

I too have been waiting for this to be fixed (not sure if I already posted a feature request for this before).

But for my workflow it would save lots of time.
I usually use Lightroom to select and do the base corrections on my images. Then the ones that need retouching I will mark with a different color, click open in Affinity (desktop) so that it creates a copy.

These copies will then be copied to an import folder I have in iCloud. And then on my iPad I will create a new project with a name to match, and in this import all these photos.
However, having to click import, select the retouch and then import folders (that's my structure) for each one, which is also pretty slow process for 42MPixel images with 16bit per component, for each photo is pretty slow.
If I just could get a window to selection which photo to import (and I don't want them to be opened for editing, just importing into the folder!) and then start import, so that I can do something else while it works.

But having to wait some time between each one is a bit of annoying.

I also then would like to be able to export the same way. To select a bunch of photo and export (maybe create my own settings to apply to all) to my iCloud/retouch/fixed folder.

It would also be nice to assign colors, similar to Lightroom, to be able to know which pictures I've started working with, which ones are ready, etc.

Something I forgot to mention. It seems there is some weird bug when importing making the above workflow even harder.
For some reason once I import an image and go to import a new one the order is being changed...  The first image on the top right will have moved one position to the right, and then they keep reorganising as I continue to import more.

This is very confusing when I'm working on several similar picture, especially as the ones already imported are cropped to a square, making it hard to see which ones I've actually imported.

So I need to keep track of the first image (hopefully it is quite different in looks to the others) to know which one I should import next. Rather annoying.

Plus it is not very obvious that an import has stated (it just shows a progress circle on the top), I'd prefer the whole screen to change with a clear progress bar.

Ps. Merging layers should also have a progress bar

Hi All,

I have read great things about affinity, so I decided to give it a try.

Now - I hope I am somehow wrong...or am I the only one noticing the madness in this?

1. I just spent 20 euros for an app to browse, select and post-produce photos.

2. A 2 weeks travel could easily result in 500-1000+ photos (as well as a couple of days of studio, for professionals).

3. The only way to import photos is via "cloud" feature

4. Cloud feature requires you to import one photo at a time

Conclusion: I just spent 20 euros for an amazing app...which is totally unusable in practice

How do you guys work around this? This is not just a nice to have, this is a basic feature to me...

thanks

I have a question related to the request for batch import. When a raw file is imported (.dng, .nef, etc), if you were to simply develop as is, will the resulting photo in the workflow lose any future developing capabilities? Consider the following hypothetical (future) workflow:

1. Batch import multiple raw files and automatically develop them as is and add an entry for each photo into the thumbnail view.

2. Using affinity, for each photo individually, enter the develop persona and tweak/save them to your taste.

3. Allow a new option of batch export of selected thumbnails as is, in other words, whatever the current developed/merged version of each selected photo is, that's what will get exported.

Obviously there are going to be considerations of writing multiple files in one pass to the cloud, and perhaps ios11 may facilitate this in the new "file system".

This seems to be a logical approach to a workflow, at least for me. If I take 100 photos in the field, then want to develop and save the results, this is what I've been doing. But one photo at a time is a very slow tedious process.

I have also seen comments elsewhere about how the .afphoto file type isn't intended for storage, but that distinction isn't made for the desktop version. The Save and SaveAs functions there both save to .afphoto. The iPad in conjunction with a suitably-sized cloud or personal NAS (network attached storage) has plenty of room for storing .afphoto files. If you take that into consideration, why can't the thumbnails point to afphoto files? Is the affinity internal version of a photo on the iPad effectively an afphoto file?

These are just questions... But consideration of the answers might jog a better batch approach loose. :)

On 8/28/2017 at 0:28 PM, Cesare said:

Hi All,

I have read great things about affinity, so I decided to give it a try.

Now - I hope I am somehow wrong...or am I the only one noticing the madness in this?

1. I just spent 20 euros for an app to browse, select and post-produce photos.

2. A 2 weeks travel could easily result in 500-1000+ photos (as well as a couple of days of studio, for professionals).

3. The only way to import photos is via "cloud" feature

4. Cloud feature requires you to import one photo at a time

Conclusion: I just spent 20 euros for an amazing app...which is totally unusable in practice

How do you guys work around this? This is not just a nice to have, this is a basic feature to me...

thanks

The key to making it usable is that you do not use Affinity Photo for browsing, you use something else to make selections - then you are working with a reduced set.  Opening up the photos from iCloud is a little slow but not that slow.  It would be nice to tell Affinity Photo "I'm editing this iCloud Folder" and have a way to traverse all images in that folder, though I still don't think it would make for a great review tool.

On 07/09/2017 at 1:36 PM, beanradio said:

+1 for the request for the ability to open multiple photos at once. Would be great to have the camera studio / histogram open and then scroll through multiple shots of the same subject and then experiment / pick the best one.

Have you tried Adobe's Lightroom app? You might find it more useful for that task (I use it to quickly sort through a ton of photos and compare them). Plus you can copy edits, flag photos, it's great for sifting through vast numbers of photos. 

Whereas I think here we are yearning to importing multiple photos into the library at once, rather than having multiple open at the same time. Opening multiple on the iPad might be a stretch on its power. Maybe one day though...

It's funny you mention that - I tried Lightroom, and really, really wanted to like it, but it felt so busy, bloated and clumsy in comparison to anything Affinity-produced that I ended up cancelling the trial and deleting it. Regular old Apple Photos is what I'm using for "library management" and while that app is too minimalist and has weaknesses, at least it doesn't feel like 1992.

Agreed that it would be nice to import multiple into the library - but honestly even being able to open 5 or 6 and cycle through the tabs would be really helpful. 

I have the 12.9" iPad Pro and I'm willing to bet it would not choke!

Regards,

Brian

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Upvoting this feature. If there is a way I can import all my RAW files at a go from iPadOS Files, I would be able to work my RAW files effectively on just the iPad Pro.
I really don’t see why this is complicated. All it needs is the ability to select multiple files onto Affinity Project. Then allow me to develop them post import one at a time. At the moment, i have to do it 1 at a time, by opening or importing the files from Cloud (both seems to be no difference at all with the native Files on iPadOS)

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/22/2020 at 4:52 PM, Artist in Illinois said:

It is 2020 and the user still cannot drop all of the images into Photo at once (batch) and then work on them. Affinity, please fix this.

But you can! It is January 2021 and all you have to do is select them all and then drop them into Photo. They will all be together and you can see their names up in the little bar of the image at the forefront!

• 3 months later...
On 1/31/2021 at 9:26 AM, Artist in Illinois said:

But you can! It is January 2021 and all you have to do is select them all and then drop them into Photo. They will all be together and you can see their names up in the little bar of the image at the forefront!

But you can’t! It’s may 2021 and we are talking about the iOS version not the desktop version. No such thing as drag and drop on iPad.

Edited by Zgoodwin
Misspelling

• 7 months later...

I'm also really really wanting this feature. I work only on iPad and I make comics for publishing I have tight deadlines and this ONE feature could save hours. It would be great to just select multiple and click them into the artboards like tap, tap, tap. At LEAST. 😭😭 Affinity please... I don't know if this a big priority for you but it will make the it's app so EASY....pleaseee..... since you don't have the other apps on ios??? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/17/2022 at 3:32 AM, Sethssmithart said:

I'm also really really wanting this feature. I work only on iPad and I make comics for publishing I have tight deadlines and this ONE feature could save hours. It would be great to just select multiple and click them into the artboards like tap, tap, tap. At LEAST. 😭😭 Affinity please... I don't know if this a big priority for you but it will make the it's app so EASY....pleaseee..... since you don't have the other apps on ios??? 

Affinity Photo is NOT a DAM - Digital Asset Manager like Lightroom.

In actual fact most of the DAM functionality of LR is built into Apple Photos which has quite an impressive image editor for basic edits, crops and colour corrections.

Affinity Photo is akin to Photoshop which you use where more individual image in depth edits are required. 

What I am trying to say here, is that this is not a missing feature in AP just like it is not missing feature in PS. It is a different tool altogether.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help