Hello,

I have just run a few tests against PhotoShop CS6 and Affinity Photo on saving/exporting Jpeg files,

starting with a 6.46mb 1422px x 2013px 207ppi JPEG

assigning adobe rgb1998 

resize too 7020px x 9930px 300ppi

PhotoShop : saved quality 12, options base line standard jpeg : 28.47mb

Affinity Photo exported : jpeg best, progressive OFF, quality 100%, embed icc, embed meta : 46.33mb

any idea why the huge file from AP

Regards

Chris

p.s Windows 10, AP 1.5.2.69

Edited by artphotopro
forgot to add system details

I'd start by comparing the quality of both files.

First compare the results of resizing only (save both to png, open one above another and set blending to "difference"). Then do the same with final jpg files.

After that, we may stat guessing more.

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

Amature camera user, Adobe avoider. Still missing: HLS improvements, Raw development with sidecars, Gradient list in gradient layer/tool. Do want: Liquefy as Layer.

Hello TEcHNOpls,

Thank you for the reply,

I did as you suggested but I had to save the AP png with 8-bit, palettised "OFF" as it would not export the file hanged on export process window.

PS file size png = 199mb

AP file size png = 49mb

dont know why the huge diff

overlayed AP png on top of PS png in Affinity Photo and set blend to difference on AP result was 100% black, I assume that means 0% dif between the 2 images. 

Did the same with the jpegs with same result 100% black.

So I have no idea what may or may not be happening here file size wise.

any and all suggestion/answers welcome.

Regards

Chris

Hi,

Are you sure it was 100% black, did you verify it at 200% zoom? Also, you can add a curves layer on top of it and make it exaggerate small variations from black.

The export could have not hanged but just took a lot of time. It looks similar.

The size difference may be since it's 8vs16 bit, BUT this should show some difference between png files.

Amature camera user, Adobe avoider. Still missing: HLS improvements, Raw development with sidecars, Gradient list in gradient layer/tool. Do want: Liquefy as Layer.

Hello,

I have checked again with the jpegs, their is a slight dif when using "differance" blend mode, I will attach the AP file so you can have a look,

I have found that the meta data is still messing with the dimension image was exported as 300ppi, 23.4"x33.1" Adobe bridge reads the expected dimensions but when you open the image in AP or PS the image size is 33"x48" 207ppi, but that has not made any dif to the mb of the file.

Please check the file attached.

1891b_PS_AP_Layered.afphoto

Thanks, I'll take a look at home then.

Hello Sean,

Thank you for checking on this issue with the file size and meta data, any chance of a very rough time scale for the next update for AP and AD ( not going to hold you to any info you give and software timelines are very flexible). As AP really does not an update to fix a few very annoying software errors which force me to use adobe.

Regards
Chris

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

Hi artphotopro,

Thanks for your files,

I've reproduced it so have passed it onto development to see what they say.

Just now, artphotopro said:

Hello Sean,

Thank you for checking on this issue with the file size and meta data, any chance of a very rough time scale for the next update for AP and AD ( not going to hold you to any info you give and software timelines are very flexible). As AP really does not an update to fix a few very annoying software errors which force me to use adobe.

Regards
Chris

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, I can't give any real dates for the next updates to be honest. Regarding the issues that annoying you have you reported these to us at all? I can ensure they're with development to be looked at then.

Hello Sean,

I think I have reported all of the current software problems, Here is a list of the ones I run into the most:

AP :

1. rotate image/document incorrect save between landscape and portrait
  2. jpeg file over size when saved compared too PS
  3. Meta Data file corruption to exported jpeg file dimensions (also affects tif)

Thanks for all the help

Regards
Chris

Hello Sean,

Thank you again for checking these problems, as you can guess not being able to save a jpeg or tiff at the correct size with meta data included does make life difficult, I process 100+ of  images a day and have to use photoshop for any thing I need to keep meta data in which is not ideal, I do understand that software dev is not an easy task at the best of time and with any new software there will be bugs but the need to be able to save your output correctly every time is a major problem for any one who works on as many images as I do, please keep the community updated, so we can make an informed decision on the use of affinity software in our work flow.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

I've had a response from development regarding the file size. When you set to 100% we do lossless compression with JPG, whilst other applications do not. Saving at 99% should give you a significant drop in file size.

7 hours ago, sophialiu said:

Hello.

Maybe you can use software to rip your photos.Such as Blu-ray ripper.

Hello sophialiu,

Thank you for your input, but I think you may have miss read what the problem is currently with the export options in AP, The export for jpeg is exporting images with little compression creating unnecessarily large files with out any information the help section to inform users of this quirk when compared to exporting files from say photoshop, I hope the help section of AP will be updated with jpeg save %'s to explain the benifits and draw backs to using say 85% - 90% - 100% on the quality slider.

Regards

Chris