You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Handling multi-page TIFF files (TIFFs with sub-files)

Hi there,

from time to time I encounter TIFF files that contain multiple "pages". E.g. our HP scan software produces multi-page TIFF files when scanning multiple pages, instead of saving each page into a separate file. Reading about this online this seems to be known either as "multipage TIFF" or "TIFF sub-files".

Apple Preview handles those files as expected similar to multi-page PDFs displaying all images in the sidebar. To open the multiple pages in Affinity Designer or Photo, the only way right now seems to re-save the TIFF into single files using Preview, via drag-and-drop out of the sidebar into Finder. I'd love if opening those files was handled in a way similar to multi-page PDFs instead. Right now Affinity Designer and Photo both only open the first page, never even acknowledging that there is more.

Attached is such a TIFF containing two pages, right out of the afforementioned HP scan software.

Kind regards

-- Alina

Scannen0001.tif

• 3 years later...

Hi!

Just had the same troubles with a two-page TIFF file...

Is there now a way to open other pages than the first one?

I mean my work around is to use GIMP now... it's a bit odd as I prefer to use Affinity Photo for all my photo editing...

Chris

PS: If you like maps you might also have a look at this community!
PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

• 6 months later...
On 9/9/2020 at 2:34 PM, transitdiagrams said:

I mean my work around is to use GIMP now.

If you have Acrobat (or similar software), it is much easier to right click on the TIF file and choose "Convert to PDF".

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

+1 for adding this feature in all 3 Affinity apps.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)