You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

One of the most useful keyboard shortcuts in Photoshop (imo) is the CMD to move (CMD + arrows nudges 1pixel, with SHIFT modifier to nude 10pixels). In Affinity Photo the CMD key is completely unused when working normally with a document, looking in the options for shortcuts there doesn't seem to be much in terms of advanced shortcuts.

I know AP is not PS, but moving things around are quite useful and not using the normal modifier keys, instead leaving them dead, seems like very bad UX.

Am I missing something, is CMD actually used for anything and/or can I get the desired behavior?

That's what Photo does. But you don;t need to hold down Cmd key. Just select something and with the move key selected, press the arrows to move it 1 pixel.

Shift moves by 10 pixels.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

But surely you have to have something selected, or how would the program know what to move. 

If you have a shape tool selected on a shape, the arrows move the shape without selecting the move tool first.

f you have a selection marquee and the selection marquee tool selected the arrows move the selection without selecting the move tool.

If you make a selection with the selection brush again, you can move the selection without selecting the move tool.

What does the CMD tool do that I am missing?

By default Affinity moves it without the need to press Cmd first. Unless the layer is locked. If you are working on any layer (unlocked) in Affinity, it just moves it. Well apart from Text layers.

Surely in PS the layer has to be selected first anyway, or any random layer would move which would be a minor disaster.. 

How does PS know what you want to move unless it is 

A Already selected, maybe being edited

B You select it. ?

That does the same multi-layer work flow thing but saves you having to press CMD. So it's better, surely?

2 hours ago, toltec said:

By default Affinity moves it without the need to press Cmd first. Unless the layer is locked. If you are working on any layer (unlocked) in Affinity, it just moves it. Well apart from Text layers.

Surely in PS the layer has to be selected first anyway, or any random layer would move which would be a minor disaster.. 

How does PS know what you want to move unless it is 

A Already selected, maybe being edited

B You select it. ?

That does the same multi-layer work flow thing but saves you having to press CMD. So it's better, surely?

If a layer isn't selected nothing happens in PS, holding CMD allows you to click a pixel and have the corresponding layer activated. So you can draw a line, CMD drag it somewhere and then continue drawing, all without changing tools. It's this very nice transparent combination of being able to manipulate things I was looking for, but it seems it's not available in Photo. Pressing the arrow keys in Photo gives a completely unpredictable result where the contents of the layer jumps diagonally around, probably a bug.

I see. It's odd how different people do different things.

The thing that annoys me most about AP is Layer control. Having to drag layers to a tiny icon to nest them, I struggle but then moving layers between other layers I often miss and nest it by mistake, Grrr, and no duplicate layer button or method of tabbing between selected layers in Studio. .Awkward.

Setting up a multi layer document is a fiddly, half dragging, half shortcut and half menu (er, that may be one half too many?) operation. And it's such an important part of working in Affinity.