You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPhone 6 BLACK updated

Herojas93

Hi guys,

That's my first job on A.D.

Hope you like it.

P.D. Please can you give me some advices with the shine and glass effects at the screen?

Thank you all it's a great community

Update: I think I have finished with that design. Thanks you all for your advices.

hmm.  I can't open the file; are you using Afinity' Designer's Beta?  It says I do not have the right "persona." 

However, I will tell you what my professor told me when I was doing a painting assignment in black and white with shiny objects: it's all about contrasting edges and highlights vs shadows, particularly with something shiny like tin or copper or even glass.  This sped up drawing I found on youtube of a monochrome marble might give you a good idea of what I mean:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItmXEUz4sdg  If you're drawing an iphone of course the transparency of the glass will be different and the iphone's black screen will reflect the area around it if it is not on and backlit from inside. 

Of course you would have to simplify this in a vector image.  Maybe also try utilizing the transparency wine glass button for sharp vs soft edges . . Definitely study your image or an actual iphone, drawing it out as detailed as possible, paying close attention to what you SEE rather than what you think is there.  Some quick sketches might also help solidify what you need to finish your drawing properly. 

I would not rely completely on AD 3D tool in the effects section to do this.  It needs the personalized touch.  :-)  Good luck!

Thanks very much for the advice.

Yes I used AD Beta, sorry.

The video was very helpfull.

I'll try to find the best way to do the glass and shine effect at screen.

I'm with you, I don't like very much that 3D finishing for that purpose.

One more thing, I found some issues with graphics performance of my laptop doing the design.

I'm using a MacBook PRO late 2013 with an IRIS PRO GRAPHICS CARD.

I had some lags, slow graphics rendering... Etc

It's normal due my Mac or I can have any wrong option at AD setting configuration?

Thanks for the support

Looks great. :)

The battery icon seems to be a bit too bright to me, though. I don't have an iPhone so I don't know if its like that on the real thing, but I would make it a bit dimmer if it were me.

Maybe also give a bit of variation on the outer, silver, bezel to give the illusion of a light source lighting up one side / corner and the opposite side being in shadow. I did this in my kindle paperwhite pic. (http://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/4025-kindle-paperwhite-poster/) where I brightened the top left corner and darkened the bottom right corner (just as simple diagonal gradient overlay) so that it looks like there's a light source to the top left of the device.

As for the reflection, have a look at this post and maybe try something similar: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/3999-htc-m8-smartphone/. I didn't do something like that on my kindle pic as it doesn't have a very reflective screen.

The idea is to give something subtle so don't try to make things too shiny if you want it to look realistic.

Thanks Garytagreg, I'll try.

Awesome you Kindle icon...

P.S. What about that? Does anyone having the same issues?

One more thing, I found some issues with graphics performance of my laptop doing the design. 

I'm using a MacBook PRO late 2013 with an IRIS PRO GRAPHICS CARD. 
I had some lags, slow graphics rendering... Etc

It's normal due my Mac or I can have any wrong option at AD setting configuration?

• Staff

Hi Herojas,

Nice work! :D  Just wanted to address your problem about performance issues... Is it when you're doing anything in particular? Using tools or when you're just zooming in/out panning around? I have a late-2013 15" Retina MacBook Pro with Iris Pro graphics, just like yours and it runs really well for me. I'm running OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 at the moment.

From looking at your document I think that the only place I can imagine causing you any performance issues is the use of layer effects. Whenever you use Layer Effects (fx) then you're telling the program to do a per-pixel light-based algorithm with many sample inputs per-pixel: They're expensive operations but we do them every time you update the screen and with your Mac you have 4x the amount of pixels on your screen so you may see a small pause or a slight difference before the final image is rendered to the screen. This is pretty much unavoidable unless we start to cache the results of the effects - something which most other applications do to achieve performance... but in doing so, we will start to consume potentially huge amounts of memory and will always be offering up a rendering which is not of the highest quality because it's based on an effect that was rendered at one given size only. There are normally ways to achieve the same visual effect, but by creating additional semi-transparent, gradient filled vector shapes that overlay and blend into each other - rendering dozens of vector shapes would typically be faster than a trivial layer effect - but it obviously takes more time to draw in the first place!

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your explain.

I have Yosemite 10.10.2 too installed. Very fast and stable OS X version.

I'm using a 22" 1920x1080 monitor as main screen, the MacBOOK PRO screen is used only for tools.

The little lags and rendering issues I found was when I try to move a group block with fx effects or layers with effects.

I found too little slow working of AD, for example, at selection mouse when I was inside zoomed layer. I was trying to move the mouse but the square selection doesn't appear or ran so slow.

Your explain have sense.

The only thing is I was scare about my laptop (I believed it was one of the best ones, jeje) and it was giving me graphics problems so I thought ufff... what happens.

That's the reason I was asking about settings or something like that.

Anyway now I'm calm knowing the functioning of the system.

Thanks so much.

• Staff

I think your system is absolutely fine - I know I'll be making sure Affinity runs well on my MacBook Pro for many years to come - I even did (and continue to do!) a lot of the performance tuning on my old 2008 MacBook Pro, so you've got a long time before you'll need to worry about your system! :)

Incidentally, there's currently a bug that means that if you open your drawing on the retina screen then move it onto the non-retina screen it will continue to do all the work for the retina version for no reason because it doesn't realise the new screen is not retina anymore... Similarly, if you move your design from the non-retina screen to the retina screen it won't spot that the retina property is different and you won't get a retina view... Just thought I'd mention it incase you ever see any weirdness before I get around to fixing it! :S

Thanks again,

Matt

That's I thought when I bought it.

I'm extremely PRO Apple and their products  ^_^

That's the reason I was very happy when I saw that someone was developing a software following the simplicity and power of Freehand.

I hate Illustrator (so blur when you try to do easy things)  :ph34r:

I'll be aware to the little bug you mentioned.

Thanks!!

Hi guys,

That's my first job on A.D.

Hope you like it.

P.D. Please can you give me some advices with the shine and glass effects at the screen?

Thank you all it's a great community

Hi,

I would love to see the image, but I use MAS version. Any chance you can also post a PNG?

That is very nicely done.

A few suggestions:

I miss the plastic divisions that surround the antenna areas. You see a little also from the front

An idea would also be to give a little highlight on the edges of the buttons

The active screen area I would like just to make slightly more visible, as you normally see that when the screen is active.

Also a very tiny highlight around the speaker opening will just make it perfect.

The camera lens is really good  !!!

Keep up the good work.

Looks great! One little detail: perhaps the reflection would benefit from a ¼ pixel gaussian blur... no reflection is as sharp as the original...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17