You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Support mobile workflow (backup, selection/rating, editing)

Hi there, 

are you considering to really support a mobile professional workflow?

Coming from a job (e.g. wedding), I have thousands of raw images which I have to go through and select the best ones to be edited. Back home, I would like to store them on my NAS and synchronize a specific folder with my iPad. I could then do the culling on the roads, e.g. sitting in a train (offline). Back home, the ratings should again be synchronized to my NAS so I can start editing the best ones on my iMac.

Edited photos should then be synchronized via NAS to my iPad, so I can show them to customers...

I definitely want to sync via NAS, because I easily end up with more than 100GB of images after a wedding. There must not be any cloud storage involved because this slows down the entire process!

Additionally, for travel photography it would be great to back up to my iPad first while traveling. I could then start rating the images with star ratings and synchronize the result as soon as I am back home. This means I neither have to carry a laptop to choose the best images, nor do I have to wait with the rating and selection of my images until I am at home...

For my personal images it would be great if all edited photos could be synced to my photos roll on iMac, iPhone and iPad via NAS (with the time when my images were taken, not when they were edited...)

looking forward to hearing from you

chris

• Staff

Hi Chrisb89,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Photo is not a DAM software. It wasn't designed to manage libraries, tag, rate files etc nor store edits as XMP sidecar files or in a database or apply them to multiple files from the same set for example. It's a RAW converter/developer and photo editing software more similar/comparable to Adobe Camera RAW + Photoshop than Lightroom or Aperture etc.

We have plans to develop a DAM software later but it will still take a while until we get there.

There is no such thing as "mobile professional workflow", simply because mobile devices were never considered to be more than toys. $0.99 apps running on bastardized OS, powered by the inferior hardware. It's changing now, but the damage is done. Will Apple be able to acknowledge the emerging professional market, that combinations of things like iPad pro and AP could create? I doubt they would forsake their whole MacBook Pro/OSX business. Will they create something like OSX Light, running on the most powerful versions of the future iPad? Will there be a breakthrough in battery technology? When there is a demand, there will be supply, but the world of touch UI is so different, that all apps have to be re-designed.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom CC on my PC, and i have understood that Affinity Photo is not a DAM sofware.

I will use Affinity Photo on iPad for travel, and it would be fine, when coming at home, to integrate my edited photos to my Lightroom library as PSD's files.

Perhaps will it be possible with the application Files in ios 11, to easily import in my PC filesystem the PSD files exported in Affinity iPad.

See with iOS 11.

On 7/20/2017 at 0:43 AM, Chrisb89 said:

Regarding hardware and battery demands: I was not talking about mobile editing. It was more about the rating part. This could even be done with jpg previews, at least, this is what I am doing today....

There was software like this available for iPad, but since my needs have changed, I haven't kept up with any of it or even remember their names. I believe you can do what you want in the mobile version of Lightroom, though.

iPad Pro 12.9 M1/Mac Mini M1, in that order

On 19.7.2017 at 10:10 PM, Chrisb89 said:

Hi there, 

are you considering to really support a mobile professional workflow?

Coming from a job (e.g. wedding), I have thousands of raw images which I have to go through and select the best ones to be edited. Back home, I would like to store them on my NAS and synchronize a specific folder with my iPad. I could then do the culling on the roads, e.g. sitting in a train (offline). Back home, the ratings should again be synchronized to my NAS so I can start editing the best ones on my iMac.

Edited photos should then be synchronized via NAS to my iPad, so I can show them to customers...

I definitely want to sync via NAS, because I easily end up with more than 100GB of images after a wedding. There must not be any cloud storage involved because this slows down the entire process!

Additionally, for travel photography it would be great to back up to my iPad first while traveling. I could then start rating the images with star ratings and synchronize the result as soon as I am back home. This means I neither have to carry a laptop to choose the best images, nor do I have to wait with the rating and selection of my images until I am at home...

For my personal images it would be great if all edited photos could be synced to my photos roll on iMac, iPhone and iPad via NAS (with the time when my images were taken, not when they were edited...)

looking forward to hearing from you

chris

Hi MBd,

Hmmm, that's really not my field... I do know that if it's technically possible then we'll certainly look into it, but there's a way to go before the iPad version of Affinity appears, so a DAM product on iOS will be even further away :(

Thanks,

Matt