LKain

Wrong exporting on iPad

Hey there,

i need your help I have a problem when i exporting an edited image with Affinity Photo for iPad.

i don't know if I wrong something or it's a bug.

i attach two images. One is the editing (a screenshot from Affinity interface), the correct image. Another one is what it saves on my iPad.

it's totally different and wrong.

why?

i tried to change format and some options but the result is same.

i don't know what's happens

thanks for helping

IMG_0098.JPG

IMG_0099.PNG

Hi LKain

What format and bit depth are you exporting to? It looks like you are going from a 32bit image to an 8bit image, so it is narrowing the range between black and white, gving you less depth. Do you get this you you export to EXR or if you convert the document to 8Bit in the app first.?

Are you able to attach the file or afphoto file for us to look into

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hey LKain, the huge difference is likely because you're editing a 32-bit document in Unmanaged (Nessuna trasformazione). That means you're seeing it in linear light - there's no display transform happening.

When you export (presumably to JPEG or another format?), this image, like any other, is managed by a display transform and thereby accounts for why it looks so different.

Ideally, if you're editing for general sharing and export, you need to set your 32-bit preview to "ICC Transform" and not "Unmanaged" (or use an OpenColorIO transform if you have it configured). Once you set it to "ICC Transform" you will find the document in Photo looks exactly like your exported image.

So, if you wanted your image to look like it does when it's unmanaged, you would also have to use a LUT or additional adjustments to darken it. It would help to know your workflow - is the image from an HDR Merge? If not, was it your intention to edit in 32-bit to begin with?

More than 200 Affinity Photo Video Tutorials - Affinity Photo for iPad Tutorials

Looking for a manual/documentation? Check affinity.help for online help!

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more

Hi Chris and thanks for the answer.

i tried to export in jpeg and png format.

format pixel is "Use document format"

jpeg best quality

area "entire document"

ICC profile "use the document profile"

resampling "bilinear"

if i try to export in png format the depth is png-24

What image do I attach to?

original or the wrong one?

1 hour ago, James Ritson said:

Hey LKain, the huge difference is likely because you're editing a 32-bit document in Unmanaged (Nessuna trasformazione). That means you're seeing it in linear light - there's no display transform happening.

When you export (presumably to JPEG or another format?), this image, like any other, is managed by a display transform and thereby accounts for why it looks so different.

Ideally, if you're editing for general sharing and export, you need to set your 32-bit preview to "ICC Transform" and not "Unmanaged" (or use an OpenColorIO transform if you have it configured). Once you set it to "ICC Transform" you will find the document in Photo looks exactly like your exported image.

So, if you wanted your image to look like it does when it's unmanaged, you would also have to use a LUT or additional adjustments to darken it. It would help to know your workflow - is the image from an HDR Merge? If not, was it your intention to edit in 32-bit to begin with?

Hi James,

this is not hdr merge.

i applied some effect and adjustments.

i thought the problem was the ICC Trasform because if I select it on display the image results like the "wrong final image", so I didn't select it.

if I play with dark tools or exposition etc the image is still different. It loses details if I select ICC.

Now I noticed it's a RGB (HDR)

i don't remember now if this work was 3 merged images or another.

anyway, if this is a HDR merge, how do I get to keep the look I want when exporting?

Hi LKain, if it's not an HDR merge you must have either converted the document to 32-bit yourself or opened a 32-bit document like OpenEXR/Radiance HDR?

The problem here is that you should be using ICC transform colour management: both 8-bit and 16-bit colour modes are already managed with ICC display transforms, the difference is that 32-bit allows you to work in an unmanaged linear view (which, for your purposes, you should not be doing).

If you want your image to look correct when exported and viewed, you need to use ICC display transform colour management. I assure you that your image is not losing any detail, it just may seem hard to work with what is initially a brighter and "pastier" image. Try setting your view to ICC and use adjustments like Curves to darken and increase contrast in your image. Alternatively, if you are familiar with using LUTs, try something like an "sRGB to Linear" LUT which should help. I have attached one to this post for you to try.

For an HDR merge, Photo is set to an ICC transform view by default. Do not change it to Unmanaged because it won't represent what you see when you export and view it externally.

I hope that helps/makes sense?

sRGB_to_linear.spi1d

More than 200 Affinity Photo Video Tutorials - Affinity Photo for iPad Tutorials

Looking for a manual/documentation? Check affinity.help for online help!

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more