You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey all. New to the forums, and relatively new to AF. Loving it so far, but I have a question about cropping.

I found it kind of odd that there isn't a preset for a 16x9 crop. So I made my own, 1600 x 900.

If I pull up that crop preset on a picture, how can I adjust the size of the crop, but still remain constrained to the 16x9 aspect ratio?

In other programs, I think I remember it being fairly standard to hold down Shift or Option or Command while click/dragging one of the crop borders, but it seems in AF it is unconstrained no matter what additional buttons I press. I'm on Mac, by the way, if that matters.

Thanks.

Set the crop dimensions to 1600 x 900, click on Mode, then select Add Preset and name it 16 : 9. You now have a 16 : 9 Preset that will appear in the Mode box along with the other Presets whenever you crop something.

You won't need to do anything else whenever you select it. Just draw a crop box of any size or modify the existing one and it will be constrained to a 16 x 9 ratio. 

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

IanSG

Quite right, I wasn't being very clear.

I was using his settings of 1600 x 900 and using them to create the preset. Doing it your way is much better.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• Staff

CropTool has been rewritten, and will include inbuilt and user presets.

Will beta in 1.7.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Wow, so this is weird. Thanks for your answers, but I think my AP might be acting a bit strange. Unless any of you want to do this test that I did to see if it's supposed to act this way-

Opened up a CR2 raw file. Pulled up my 16:9 crop preset, and it stayed constrained to 16:9 if I pulled one of the borders or corners. I tried it in both the Develop and Photo personas. Cool, that's what I wanted.

Then I did a test with a jpg, in Photo persona, I pulled up the 16:9 crop preset which made the little rectangle, and that 16:9 custom preset remains constrained when I adjust the size. But when I apply any of the built-in presets, all those are unconstrained. Very odd.

I'd make a screenshot video of what I'm seeing, but I forgot to bring my mouse to work with me tonight. Much easier to do with mouse. Maybe I'll make one tomorrow.

Built-in (and custom) 'Absolute Dimensions' presets are unconstrained, but built-in ratios such as 8:10 should behave just like your custom 16:9 preset.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

A-ha! I figured it out. It's a naming convention thing.

Any of the AP crop presets or any custom presets will remain constrained only if they are named in this specific format-

16 : 9

1 : 1

5 : 7

etc...

i.e. number space colon space number

I made a 16x9 preset, but I called it 16:9, without the spaces. AP will still save that crop as a preset with the dimensions that I dictate, but it will be unconstrained if I try to expand or contract it. I renamed it 16 : 9 and it remained constrained.

You'll notice that the other AP presets that are not named in that format (6" x 4", 8.5" x 11", 1024px x 768px) are all unconstrained, whereas the others (1 : 1 and 5 : 7 and 8 : 10) will remain constrained.

It makes no difference if it's a CR2 or a jpg or anything else, and AP behaves the same way in Develop and Photo personas.

7 hours ago, BruceBurbank said:

I made a 16x9 preset, but I called it 16:9, without the spaces. AP will still save that crop as a preset with the dimensions that I dictate, but it will be unconstrained if I try to expand or contract it. I renamed it 16 : 9 and it remained constrained.

I cannot confirm this. I made a 4:3 'Custom Ratio' crop and added it as a preset named 4" x 3". When I drag a side adjustment handle the aspect ratio is maintained and the Mode box on the Context toolbar still says 4" x 3"; if I choose one of the supplied 'Absolute Dimensions' presets such as 6" x 4" and drag a side handle, the aspect ratio is not maintained and the Mode box text changes to 'Absolute Dimensions'.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

31 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I cannot confirm this. 

Nor can I, using the Mac version. The name given to a custom ratio preset does not matter -- I tried using various names, even silly ones like "Fred," & it made no difference.

I think there may be some confusion about the difference between a custom ratio preset & a custom dimension preset (like 6" x 4", 8.5" x 11", or 1024px x 768px). Ratio presets have no dimensional units (inches, pixels, points, whatever) at all. They are just the ratio of one dimensionless number to another. So for example, it doesn't matter if you use 1600 & 900 or 16 & 9 as the two numbers to define a custom ratio preset -- the ratio is the same either way. Note that the "Units:" field in the Contextual toolbar is dimmed out when using custom ratios. That is because dimensional units are irrelevant for ratios.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7