You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In both AP and AD,

I have created a reference layer (1), placed a photo on it, and lock that layer. Another layer (2) was created and is being used to hold elements traced from the locked layer. 

The problem, I cannot box-select the elements on the second layer if the box begins over the photo on the locked layer. Even though layer one is locked it get selected. I can also just click on the background image on that locked layer and select it, of course, I can't do anything with it once selected...because it is locked.

The question: Is there a setting I am missing that prevents the object on the locked layer (or locked object) from being selected? Seems to me that if something is truly locked I should not be able to select it.

Thank

-Bill

It doesn't stop you selecting it but you cant move it or resize it.

If you just want to select the items on the "holding" layer, just click on the later thumbnail.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

16 minutes ago, toltec said:

It doesn't stop you selecting it but you cant move it or resize it.

If you just want to select the items on the "holding" layer, just click on the later thumbnail.

Right, I understand how it works and how I can work around the problem, but I am asking if there is a way to turn this behavior off. CorelDRAW has an option of working on the current layer or across all layers on top of having the ability to lock layers and independent objects on each layer.

It makes absolutely no sense to have the ability to select a locked object (or objects on a locked layer) and have that selection interfere with the selection of other objects of other layers. To find objects in a stack of more than a few dozen drive me bonkers.

This is especially difficult when working on drawings with thousands of node and hundreds of objects. Other programs I have work in do not have this behavior including Illustrator, CorelDRAW, Canvas, Xara, and Inkscape. I just don't get it.

These seemingly little things turn into major roadblocks, and they keep sending me back to Illustrator to allow me to get the job done.

Thanks for the reply and apparently listening to me rant. :-)

• Staff

Hi befehr,
How are you selecting the image inside the locked layer on canvas?
What steps are you taking? Can you post a screenshot of your layer structure so i can see what you are doing please?

You shouldn't be able to select an object on a locked layer on canvas (only using the Layers panel).

AD_SelectionExamples.thumb.jpg.046ae53c3fa22f2181735f25b933fea5.jpgHi MEB,

Yeah, visual aids do help a conversation about visual elements, don't they. ;-)

I have attached an image. Know that the selection process isn't a big deal as shown here in this illustration, but it becomes more of a big deal when you many, many elements and have zoomed in to close so that you can see the work.

• Staff

Thank you for the screenshots/details. I'm now able to reproduce this here and will pass it to the dev team. This is a bug.

Meanwhile there's a workaround you can use to select the objects: press and hold ⌥ (option/alt) and drag the marquee selection around them - make sure the background image is NOT selected already, otherwise this will not work. If you are zoomed in and accidentally clicked the background selecting the image layer press ESC to deselect it then press and hold ⌥ (option/alt) and then proceed to draw the marquee selection around the objects you want to select.

The ⌥ (option/alt) modifier described above is usually used to select objects laying above another bigger one (not locked) without selecting it, but can be used here as a workaround for this issue while it's being fixed.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Also, if you're picky about semantics and having an empty pseudo-object in your layer stack annoys you, you could also just move the pixel object to a normal layer and then either lock the object or the layer containing it. Seems to work as well.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Think I am having a similar issue. It won't let me select elements in a locked layer by clicking but when i use the marquee to drag and select, then (the opposite to bill's problem happens) if i start on an object within the locked layer it doesn't select it, but if i start outside and it gets included when i am trying to select objects on an unlocked layer it picks it up, and then elements that I want to stay stationary keep getting moved, and sometimes I don't notice until it is too late and may even have to start the whole design again wasting hours of work!

• 11 months later...