Jump to content
Neshiah474

Crashing, crashing, crashing.

Recommended Posts

On 05/09/2017 at 1:00 AM, Neshiah474 said:

I haven't tried using AP for a couple of months due to the app crashing every five minutes or so. I then had 1.6.3. I now have 1.6.4 and...still crashing! For some reason the app is only useful for experiencing crashes. Which is somewhat frustrating - especially when the price tag for said frustration and consequent disappointment is £20.00. So much for giving up the adobe subscription in a couple of months.

 

IOS 10.3.3 iPad 12.9 first gen. 32gb. 3.9gb free space.

 

 

I too have been experiencing an extreme load of crashes when just painting with simple brushes.(5 layers)

I uninstalled the app. Then I changed my language settings on the iPad to English UK before installing the latest version. Then once the app was installed I made sure the language was set to English in AP, then changed back my iPad language settings.

I haven't had an issue since. Maybe this is worth a shot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Andych56 said:

I too have been experiencing an extreme load of crashes when just painting with simple brushes.(5 layers)

I uninstalled the app. Then I changed my language settings on the iPad to English UK before installing the latest version. Then once the app was installed I made sure the language was set to English in AP, then changed back my iPad language settings.

I haven't had an issue since. Maybe this is worth a shot?

 

Despite enjoying a couple of crash-free weeks with my new 10.5 256GB, I too started getting more crashing with layers, etc. 

Decided to just forget about Affinity Photo until iOS11 drops, with hope that'll fix the issues. 

Not sure how this language thing could have anything to do with it, but I think I'll give it a go too. Couldn't hurt right? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My iPad was already set to UK English (as that's where I live) so can that really be the problem. It certainly seems that using more than 1 layer starts the crash effect. I've  had x3crashes in the past twenty minutes so I'm gonna export and use another app. The file size is 4000x6000 pixels. Is this too large a file?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Neshiah474 said:

My iPad was already set to UK English (as that's where I live) so can that really be the problem. It certainly seems that using more than 1 layer starts the crash effect. I've  had x3crashes in the past twenty minutes so I'm gonna export and use another app. The file size is 4000x6000 pixels. Is this too large a file?

 

I have a hunch that this is all going to come down to a memory management problem. Either in iOS or Photo or both. Fingers crossed for iOS11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Neshiah474,

with 6 layers painting, 6000 x 4000 pixel at 360 dpi, color 16 bit. After the 4th layer the ipad (pro, 1.gen, 30 gb free memory) began slowed. I made several color correction, so i had 10 layers. The ipad was very very slow. But no crash!

Good luck with AP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, skiphunt said:

 

Despite enjoying a couple of crash-free weeks with my new 10.5 256GB, I too started getting more crashing with layers, etc. 

Decided to just forget about Affinity Photo until iOS11 drops, with hope that'll fix the issues. 

Not sure how this language thing could have anything to do with it, but I think I'll give it a go too. Couldn't hurt right? ;)

The language thing in the settings was known bug that crashed the app in an earlier version. I played it safe by going about that work around to fix it...just to be safe.

So far so good for me. Just dont get too attached to your custom brushes coz they get blown away in the uninstall. Theres no way of exporting them, at this time. :(

I hope it helps, it would be a shame to not be using AP and staying creative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use an Ipad Pro 12"  Model ML3K2FD/A 128 GB, more than half free)  with IOS 10.3.3 and Affinity Photo 1.6.4.

I can consistently crash Photo in the following ways

- use Projections->Perspective Projection (Projektionen->perspektivische Projektion) and follw the workflow until at the end you do: Projections->Remove Projections (Projektionen->Projektion entfernen) Inevitably Photo crashes

- assemble a panorama of several images arranged both horicontally and vertically. The images are aligned and the rendering starts -> crash

The sad thing is, that these functions distinguish Photo from the rest of the pack. and they fail

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am having the same issue.  Tried to do frequency separation work, but every time I clicked on it, the app crashed.  I finally decided I would delete the app and reload, but now I can't even reload the program (could that be an Apple server issue?).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2017 at 10:55 AM, Neshiah474 said:

I'll stay positive re AP. However, it's disappointing as, due to frequency of crashes, I do what little I can in AP and then export to Procreate - which isn't even a photo app - but on the plus side doesn't crash, like, every 5 minutes. Maybe next year things will improve.

 

Can you outline a specific scenario where you're certain to get a crash? I've got a 10.5in running 11.01 and running Photo 1.6.5. Haven't had a crash or glitch in a good while. Maybe I'm not hitting it as hard, but I'm curious to see if I recreate as close as possible, one of your guaranteed crash scenes, if I can get mine to crash too. Lately, it's been rock solid. 

Actually, ever since I did the thing where you reinstall, set language/reset language (can't remember the order) but it was over a month ago and I haven't had a crash since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. Thanks for your response. I’ve been wondering if leaning my hand upon the iPad screen could be initiating what I think of as the crash sequence. Yesterday when it started happening I was zooming in and out quite a bit, as I was erasing manually trees between a load of metal girders - an amusement park ride. I wasn’t doing much else as I turn the iPad manually to get into difficult to reach areas - as one would a sheet of paper - if you get what I mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Neshiah474 said:

Hi. Thanks for your response. I’ve been wondering if leaning my hand upon the iPad screen could be initiating what I think of as the crash sequence. Yesterday when it started happening I was zooming in and out quite a bit, as I was erasing manually trees between a load of metal girders - an amusement park ride. I wasn’t doing much else as I turn the iPad manually to get into difficult to reach areas - as one would a sheet of paper - if you get what I mean.

 

This isn't a bad speculation. I was having trouble with another app, a couple of weeks ago. I can't remember which one, but I figured out that it was reacting to my palm on the very edge of the display. I'm pretty sure it was a drawing app and since the sensitive part of the screen goes almost all the way to the edge, it was difficult to do what I was trying to do without touching the edge with my palm. 

Oh wait, I remember exactly what it was. It was Apple's own Note app. I needed to sign a pdf document/contract thing and was having a hard time because I wanted to rest my palm on the edge while trying to make an accurate signature. 

You might be on to something with this, ie. a possible issue with the app's "palm rejection". Sometimes I think I'm crashing apps, when in fact they're just being forced into the background.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in the same boat as others in this thread. 

Version 1.6.5.  iPad 12.9   iOS 11   512gig.

This is something new, it had been working just fine then suddenly anything I do to a multi layered file crashes the program. 

Four or five layers is enough to cause the issue. 

The program crashes soon as soon as I hit the arrow to go back to the image browser.  

Another curious thing is soon as I open another app Photo will open as well.

The image is unharmed by the crash and opens to its pre-crash state.

The problem not limited to one image. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, this is exactly what I experience. Add few layers and the app will at some point crash. Open up the app again and  all progress has been lost. I then repeat all the work I did before and before the app has a chance to crash I press the arrow to return to gallery and the app will then crash again. If I try to continue by once more opening up the app it will crash whenever. Hence I don’t use it anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still crashing. My workflow consists of doing what I can in AP then, when it starts crashing - and it always does - shifting things over to Pixelmator, which doesn’t crash, ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Version 1.6.5.61 keeps crashing when trying to save a finished doc to photos through the share button on bottom left, save to iPad or save image anyone else getting this problem 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Craig4568 said:

Version 1.6.5.61 keeps crashing when trying to save a finished doc to photos through the share button on bottom left, save to iPad or save image anyone else getting this problem 

For me, the app crashes in a certain order: spontaneously while I am working on an image and then, after restarting what I was doing it wall usually crash when I hit the arrow to return to gallery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IPad Pro 10.5,,,, iOS 11.03 new AP version. I was working on the same multi layer file for weeks without a problem and now I can't get anything done because it crashes when trying to save...... now an unusable program

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ReO2 said:

IPad Pro 10.5,,,, iOS 11.03 new AP version. I was working on the same multi layer file for weeks without a problem and now I can get anything done because it crashes when trying to save...... now an unusable program

Indeed, that’s it entirely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently purchased Affinity Photo because I am moving to a new workflow. It was working rather well, with a few exceptions but now I can’t even import one photo by drag and drop before the application crashes. When importing through through the application itself it also forgets the file name of the photo which is rather silly. I am working with Fuji cameras, mostly x100f at the moment and only with JPEGs, files are around 13-16Mb of size. 

 

What is most unfortunate is that this application is already being marketed on various blogs and websites as the best application for working professionally with photos on an IPad. This is not the case for the moment, but may well be in the future if these crashing bugs can be fixed.

 

Keep up the good work and whatever I can do to help please let me know. Have a great week everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unusable program on the iPad pro, IOS 11.0.3.  Brand new version of Affinity (just bought it).  I shoot a Nikon D810, Raw files, import them from the SD card.  I wish I'd done a better job of checking the comments on it before putting my money down.  I'll continue to use my regular workflow on the iPad which includes Snapseed, Enlight, Perfectly Clear, Pixomatic and the Adobe apps; Lightroom Mobile, Photoshop Fix, PS Express, and Photoshop Mix.  NONE of those apps crash!  I do enjoy photo editing app, and this one looked good on paper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×