Neshiah474

Crashing, crashing, crashing.

Hi guys.

I understand that AP IOS is new and it will take a while to smooth things out. I can't much use it the way I need to due to the repeated crashing of the app. It's good for simple phot editing. But more than a few layers and it's impossible to make any progress before the app crashes once more and sends me back to start. The only work around is to save every minute.

I think it would help us and the developers if you would say which Version of AP on iPad (App-Store or TestFlight-Beta) you use and on which iPad with which iOS-version.

See f.i. my information in my signature.

AP for iPad 1.6.5.61  on (latest) iOS 11.0.3 on iPad Pro 12,9“ (2015) with Apple Pencil- AD Mac official - AP Mac official

eagerly awaiting AD for iPad :-)I

I would like to agree with Neshiah474's comment on the frequent crashes of Affinity Photo for iPad.  I am using AP 1.6.3, iOS 10.3.2 , and the 2017 iPad Pro 10.9.  These crashes appear to occur randomly, and are so frequent that I am rapidly losing interest in trying to do useful work with the app.

It seems like these crashes may be memory related. The saltest beta has a few memory handling fixes that should reduce the crashes if not prevent most of them. This will hopefully be pushed into the next full release

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Crashing and losing my work constantly. I now export to psd every few mins.

Can we opt in to send Dev detailed crash logs?

Affinity Photo 1.6.3 ios 10.3.2 and now 10.3.3  iPad 2

In a promo-video from last year they stated 60 MPixels to handle with ease. (Desktop performance)

Video can be found on YT.

AP for iPad 1.6.5.61  on (latest) iOS 11.0.3 on iPad Pro 12,9“ (2015) with Apple Pencil- AD Mac official - AP Mac official

13 hours ago, Nighternet said:

I wonder if iPad Pro is even capable of handling super high res. files with many layers. Other programs simply limit the max. resolution and layers.

Yes this could be it...AP allows you to create massive canvasses with loads of layers but perhaps some restraint from the user is required.

On 7/19/2017 at 2:45 AM, Chris_K said:

It seems like these crashes may be memory related. The saltest beta has a few memory handling fixes that should reduce the crashes if not prevent most of them. This will hopefully be pushed into the next full release

Cheers

Hi Chris, you answered similarly with my Haze tool crashes, etc. 

I'm curious... as a beta-tester, which iOS and iPad are you using?

Asking because I'd assumed that Photo would likely never be crash-free on my Air2 and figured I'd be forced to upgrade to an iPad Pro 10.5 sooner rather than later. 

However, the current build of Photo, though not crash-free, it's significantly improved from the launch version. To the point that as long as I keep the edits modest and layers low, I can get through an edit without a crash most of the time. 

With these memory management improvements you're enjoying in the beta, would you say that perhaps iPad Air2 near crash-free use may soon be a reality? Or, am I definitely going to have to upgrade to an iPad Pro if I want to use Photo seriously/professionally, where frequent crashes wouldn't be acceptable?

Hmmm.... was thinking all I needed was to upgrade to the 10.5 ipad pro and my crashing problems with Photo would be relieved. But, I've been tracking crash posts for several days. Seems it doesn't matter if you have a fancy new iPad pro or not, still gonna crash. 

Hoping then that iOS11 will bring crash relief?

Also, from my own experience.. this seems to be only related to when I'm starting with a RAW image source. Starting with jpeg source appears to be fairly crash-free. Anyone else notice that?

13 hours ago, Neshiah474 said:

I use a 1st gen iPad Pro and was working on jpegs when the crashing issue began - using multiple layers and text.

Dang! I was looking for a good excuse to upgrade to a new iPad Pro. ;) Doesn't appear it matters. 

So much promise this one has. Hope Affinity can get it over that last little bit to close the deal. Fingers crossed. I want this to be my one-and-only for both iOS and desktop. The iOS version has already helped me understand the desktop version much better.

On 18.7.2017 at 11:16 PM, TomNW said:

I would like to agree with Neshiah474's comment on the frequent crashes of Affinity Photo for iPad.  I am using AP 1.6.3, iOS 10.3.2 , and the 2017 iPad Pro 10.9.  These crashes appear to occur randomly, and are so frequent that I am rapidly losing interest in trying to do useful work with the app.

The same for me. Also on  AP 1.6.3, IOS 10.3.3, iPad Pro 12.9 2015, Apple Pencil.

After saving a developed raw photo from canon 6d the programm crased.

The app is great but need a littlle help from some frends. Keep on affinity people!

How much free ram do you have? i noticed that the app is much more stable when all background apps are closed and worst case - a reboot cleans up the memory.

haven't got any issue (fingers crossed!) so far on my ipad pro 9.7!

10 hours ago, nucleardirk said:

How much free ram do you have? i noticed that the app is much more stable when all background apps are closed and worst case - a reboot cleans up the memory.

haven't got any issue (fingers crossed!) so far on my ipad pro 9.7!

This should not happen on an iOS device. If everything is running smooth, memory handling is nearly perfect on an iPad.

BUT, if there are memory leaks in the apps, they can‘t release memory for iOS correctly and everything is getting worse over time.

AP for IPad has/had memory leaks as stated in the change logs for the beta test version, but your other apps on the device could have also.

So a reboot from time to time can help out. But even better is to have only the apps you really need on the device.

just my 2 cents

I haven't tried using AP for a couple of months due to the app crashing every five minutes or so. I then had 1.6.3. I now have 1.6.4 and...still crashing! For some reason the app is only useful for experiencing crashes. Which is somewhat frustrating - especially when the price tag for said frustration and consequent disappointment is £20.00. So much for giving up the adobe subscription in a couple of months.

IOS 10.3.3 iPad 12.9 first gen. 32gb. 3.9gb free space.

I'll stay positive re AP. However, it's disappointing as, due to frequency of crashes, I do what little I can in AP and then export to Procreate - which isn't even a photo app - but on the plus side doesn't crash, like, every 5 minutes. Maybe next year things will improve.

Procreate files are 8 bit colourdepth. AP is in 16 bit. So when you print with gradients in the picture from procreate it wil not be so smooth as it can be in 16 bit

After upgrade procreate 4 it has also 16 bit colourdepth! It works fine with iOS 11.

Edited by nahoj
Procreate 4