You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem to work with layers (changing color of the brush layer)

Hello, something i do lot with Photoshop i can't get working with affinity iPad.

Let's say i want to change woman eye color, i paint the color to the new layer, change it to hue or color, now the eyes are let's say green. What If i want to try blue?

with Photoshop i choose hue/saturatio and change the colour to any other color.

This iPad affinity has hue but it changing my main image color, it can't change the brush layer color? Do i need to do something for the layer where is brush for the eye to make it active or something?

or do i need to do this some other way?

Sanoy, sadly no, i checked that before i wrote this topic (that's why i used eye example). Yes that guy on the video in first part has hue, but it only apply to mask, which isn't the thing i want to do, i do my stuffs like that second part of the video. Sadly he doesn't try to change the color of the eye there,

i want to change the color of the brush lines which i made and try different colours, like draw three red lines and want to change them blue, with Photoshop this is very easy thing to do hue/saturation, but with affinity iv tried everything and can't find a solution. I can pick for example HSL adjust and there i have hue, when i change it it changes all the layers hue, now i actually found that you can stack new hue color afterwards with that brush layer only so the color of the background stays normal,  but there's has to be better way to do this, because it's very hard to tweak your graphics If the main photo colors changing same time when your brush, you can't know what looks good.

but i keep trying to find solution.

18 minutes ago, sanoy said:

Duel, for me to change the color i just need to go to the Layers and double tap the recolour adjustment layer. Once you double tap, you can change the color hue at the bottom of the screen.

But it changes color of all the layers which are under the color adjustment layer? i don't want that!

Well Im not sure If i do everything right because i can't double tap anywhere, single tap is enough to get hue at the bottom and changes all the layers colours.

here is short video what i want to do https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1365l79pwpe8gf/File 18.7.2017 12.21.17.mov?dl=0 i only want to change the colour of that blue brush layer Instead changing the whole image like it now does.

• Staff

Hi Duel,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

To use your method as in Photoshop do the following:
- create a new pixel layer above the original image layer
- paint the colour you want over the eyes in that new layer
- add a HSL Adjustment layer
- press and hold the HSL Adjustment layer in the Layers Studio until an horizontal blue line appears and drag it over the thumbnail of the new layer you just created (the thumbnail will become a solid blue when you are hovering it) - now the adjustment only affects that layer. You will notice that there's now an arrow on the left of the new layer you have created in the Layers Studio - tap it to expand the layer so you can access the HSL Adjustment (in case its collapsed)
- double tap the HSL Adjustment to edit its properties from the context toolbar on the bottom of the interface. You can now change the colour you have painted in the new layer to anything else you desire.

MEB, THANKS  A LOT!!!  And now when i tried it i think Sanoy tried to say same thing, i just didn't get it from that short message.

This was exactly what i want!

Big thumbs up for this Forum and all the help this site is giving. Im new for the affinity family and been using Photoshop like 15 years so it gets time to get used to this new littlebit different workflow. Everyday i'm more impressed what i can do with this app with iPad and so far iv found that i can do pretty much same things what i regularly do with desktop Photoshop.

Also MEB can you help me with another small question so i don't need to write new topic for it, the thing i do lot with Photoshop is i write text, then i make selection of invidual letters so i can for example add a photo inside the text to get texture there. Now with affinity If i use selection tool i can't pick the letters precisely, it picks more too from sides of the letters, i want it to be very precise.

• Staff

In Affinity Photo just tap and hold the image layer until a blue line appears (in the Layers Studio) then drag it over the text object layer (not over its thumbnail but over the area on the right - you should see the blue line over the middle of the text layer) and drop it to use it as a "texture" inside the text.